Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens

Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens

Guys

I just bought a Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens can anyone tell me a bit about it, it circle of light, is it only suitable foe a 4x5, and how do you work out how a lens is suitable for what format?

Regards
    David

Re: Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens

Looks like it came with a cam also. Do you have a Speed or Crown Graphic?
    It is good for 4x5 and smaller. Schneider Angulon 90 is a very commonly used lens.
    I think the Schneider site has vintage lens data.
    In general, if the datasheet on a lens claims an image circle greater than the diagonal of your film format then it should work without vignetting.

Thanks
    No I have a Toyo but the graphic board fits the front of the Toyo.
    David

Angulon is an older 90mm and was replaced decades ago with the Super Angulon. It will cover 4x5 but not with a lot of movements. It would also be suitable for smaller film - 6x9 back or similar.

Datasheet for it is here:
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/.../6,8-90mm.html

Datasheets are the best way to find out what a lens will cover.

David: These remain very popular, because they are so small and light. In general, the later serial numbered ones were better, especially in the corners, but I've seen some a lot older then yours that were very good. You'll be happier with the results if you stop down to f:16 or f:22. You will have very little room for movements, maybe 1/2" or so of rise. The lens illuminates a much bigger circle than it can ever resolve even at small apertures. Give it a try.

If you're lugging your stuff around, or hiking with it, great lens. If you are shooting buildings, inside and out, you will find it limiting and a larger wide angle plasmat would be better for your needs.

I apologize in advance for not offering any help with this response. I'm just wondering why do you buy a lens, and not even know much about it, especially if it will even cover the format you are using?

It's a great lens, late serial number, the best shutter. The cam is worth $30 to a Graphic user if you resell it.

If you use it with large movements or on a 5x7, the edges of the image will be soft. Ideally you use this lens at f/16 or smaller and use only minor movements on your 4x5 -- then it will be as sharp as anything.

Actually this is not a lens that covered 4x5". It covered 9x12cm which is a smaller size. The Super Angulon series that replaced this lens fully covered 4x5".

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/.../6,8-90mm.html

Image diagonal at f/16 = 154mm, so it covers 4x5" with no movements, no problem, even if it was originally intended for 9x12. On the following link there's an estimation of how the usable area increases when stopping down, equates to about 180mm at infinity at f/32, so you get a bit of room for tilt on landscapes if you're careful. Obviously with rear tilt you're laughing.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm

I've been using one for more than 25 years. It does have somewhat limited movements but I don't mind seeing the edges of the circle and mine is really really sharp. I also have the Rodenstock 90 f4.5 which has plenty of movement but no character like the Angulon has. Go outside and give it a try. Good luck.