Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: soft focus landscape

Re: soft focus landscape

Ramiro, if you ask me, I much prefer this last one. The first one is dreamiest of them all, but I find it rather out of focus and without detail, even at this small size. You observed that as well. The second one have too muzch "tunnel vision" effect for my taste. On the other hand this last one is just beautifoul.

Marko

Adam Costello

I agree with Marko - the last one is very beautiful, Ramiro.
    The last one feels like it's sharp and soft in just the right spots. Nice work!
    critiques welcome

Thanks Marko and Adam. I totally agree with you two. Although I like that pictorial dreamy character in the first one. I will try more with the orange filter.

Ramiro, you might try to test the right spot for focusing lens with chromatic abberation. If I remember correctly, you'll need to move rear standard a bit forward from your best focus. Frederick Ewans coplained on his Dallmeyer-Bergheim soft focus lens, that he can't be sure what he'll get, so you are in a good company .

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    I shot this one back in September. Wolf Creek in Banning State Park, MN. It was taken with my Speed Graphic and Velostigmat Series II, the soft focus ring set to "15".

Arista 400 film - Scanned neg.
    I love this! The light is just shimmering and the image is surcharge with atmosphere!

Adamc: Beautiful image, it makes me feel as if I'm back around 1910, contrasting the Pictorialist school with the then-new F64 club!
    Last edited by Peter Lewin; 14-Feb-2013 at 07:33. Reason: Mis-attributed the photo

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Trebusak View Post
    Ramiro, you might try to test the right spot for focusing lens with chromatic abberation. If I remember correctly, you'll need to move rear standard a bit forward from your best focus. Frederick Ewans coplained on his Dallmeyer-Bergheim soft focus lens, that he can't be sure what he'll get, so you are in a good company .

Marko
    Back then, the plates & film had different sensitivity to spectrum (more UV sensitive) so it could focus differently, and the Dallmeyer-Bergheim soft focus lens was more complicated than most. The biggest problem focusing now with soft lenses is that we must usually focus at the aperture to be used because of changes in spherical aberration (I'd say distribution of focus) as things are stopped down.

You are right, that material changed. But even today's film is very much sensytive in blue and UV region. Just look at say Ilford Delta spectral sensitivity. And the fact is, that with orange filter on simple lens resolution is better than without it. You are also right, that one must focus at taking apperture, but in my experience that is just part of the problem of focusing lens with both chromatic and spherical abberation.

Marko

Same set up as before but without a filter.

Almendros by rabato, on Flickr
    Eastman View 8x10
    Meniscus lens 300m aprox ƒ5,6
    Efke100 in Moersch Finol

PS: I shot some 4x5 with a modified Velostigmat that were a horror to focus. Will develop soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Same set up as before but without a filter.

Eastman View 8x10
    Meniscus lens 300m aprox ƒ5,6
    Efke100 in Moersch Finol

PS: I shot some 4x5 with a modified Velostigmat that were a horror to focus. Will develop soon...
    That's damn cool. The feeling and mood and composition work well with soft here!