Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberating front tilt on a Linhof Master Technika

Liberating front tilt on a Linhof Master Technika

I have just received a Linhof Master Technika in fantabulous condition, and am generally very happy with the camera, and the movements it offers. However, it seems that the front tilt does not approach the official 30 degrees, but is rather less than that, perhaps around 20 degrees, shown here.

Attachment 38685

Examining the front standard, it seems that all that stops the camera from having more tilt is a little thin strip of metal which runs from the lens board frame to the standard itself, somewhat visible in the following shot. That screw is attached to a little sliding block, and the other end loops around a pin coming out from the standard itself. The length of this flat bit is what limits the tilt.

Attachment 38686

Attachment 38687

I would prefer if there was no such limitation on the tilt, but I would manage myself how much to tilt the front, keeping in mind the flexibility of the bellows, of course. Does anyone have experience in performing such a modification, who could tell me how I might remove the little flat strip, the sliding block and so on?

Re: Liberating front tilt on a Linhof Master Technika

In 60 years of photograpy I've never needed even close to the 20 degrees which your camera has. Forget about it -- You are very lucky to have a Master Technika.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

You may end up being right, but if I get close to the ground, which I do regularly in my current project, there is at least a possibility that I might be able to use more. I would still like to know the answer. If in 60 years I never needed it, I will put the block back

I would agree with Bill. If you want close to ground shots, then you may only need 0.0006° of tilt. You'd be surprised what you can achieve with very, very little tilt.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Is it possible to drop the bed, like you can on a Master 2000?

I can drop the bed, yes. To do the ground shot, I could then drop the bed a bit and then tilt, I suppose...

If I want to tilt to get the ground in focus, with the rear standard vertical, and I am close to the ground, then at least in theory even 45-60 degrees could be used, to get all three planes to intersect.

Really, removing the little block would be the easiest. If no one knows how to do this, I will probably leave it for now and see how I get along; I just thought it would be an easy modification, giving me a bit more flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CarstenW View Post
    Really, removing the little block would be the easiest. If no one knows how to do this, I will probably leave it for now and see how I get along; I just thought it would be an easy modification, giving me a bit more flexibility.
    Have you ever used the camera for picture taking or are all this only thoughts? The main idea from 1934 is the possibility to swing and tilt not only the lens but the rear frame also.

I have a Tech IV which doesn't have forward tilt but the back has about 15 degree tilt either way. I'm pretty sure the Master has the same back movements.
    Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by photographs42 View Post
    I have a Tech IV which doesn't have forward tilt but the back has about 15 degree tilt either way. I'm pretty sure the Master has the same back movements.
    Jerome
    No, you have a Technika III. All Technika IV and later have front and back tilt on the front standard. All III models do not have forward tilts on the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    No, you have a Technika III. All Technika IV and later have front and back tilt on the front standard. All III models do not have forward tilts on the front standard.
    You’re right Bob…..well sort of. I do have a 1958 vintage 4x5 Super Tech IV but it has set in the closet since 2000 when I bought a 1954 5x7 Tech III that I have used since then. I forgot that the 4x5 had forward tilt.

My real point was that the rear movement could be added to the available front movement. I hope I got that right.
    Jerome