Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing 8x10 negs

Washing 8x10 negs

A while back I was looking for an 8x10 film washer, space is tight and I opted to try to wash in my print washer. I can do up to 6 sheets at a time using this setup.

Anyone else working like this, any thoughts for or against?

Re: Washing 8x10 negs

I had a Zone VI 11x14 print washer in which I was able to wash about 15 8x10 b&w negatives at a time. Seemed to work well, at least the negatives are still around and in good shape.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I'm with Brian, except I use a Zone VI 16x20 washer and can wash 30 8x10 negatives at a time.

I'm curious about if someone try to extend the Gravity Works 4x5 Film Basket design to the 8x10 film.
    I'm pretty fluent working with plexiglas and think about making a multi-format film washer basket: 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.
    This kind of basket can be easy to fit in many existing washing devices like basket type Versalab or Paterson or plexiglas print washer removing the separators.

PS. Allen, if a Zone VI 16x20 print washer interest you, you have one actually available at Rivière-du-Loup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Works 4x5 film basket_cr.jpg  

I use a print washer for 8x10 film, also. It seemed like the logical decision.

I guess my concern is the volume of water that crosses the emulsion is much less than in my Gravity Works which I use for 35,120,4x5 and 5x7 in hangers.

I have bumped up the wash time to compensate for the reduced water flow, I guess I need to do some test HT 2 tests to be certain of my wash times.

I use one of Alistair Inglis dedicated film washers for 8x10. The film washer have jets that move the water on each side of the film but still requires very little water pressure and flow. Very happy with this set-up which also makes a tiny footprint on the counter top. Alistair makes them for in and out of sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    I use one of Alistair Inglis dedicated film washers for 8x10. The film washer have jets that move the water on each side of the film but still requires very little water pressure and flow. Very happy with this set-up which also makes a tiny footprint on the counter top. Alistair makes them for in and out of sink.
    Could not agree with you more Jan. I do the same thing with Alistairs dedicated sheet film washers as I have acquired these for 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 and 8x20. They are fabulous.

The problem with using prints washers is that because the sheet film is not kept rigidly in place there is still a risk that movement of the film in its fragile wet condition could result in scratches to the emulsion. Been there and done that - but not any longer. With Alistairs washers the film is held in place properly spaced for optimal washing with a minimum of water used.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The problem with using prints washers is that because the sheet film is not kept rigidly in place there is still a risk that movement of the film in its fragile wet condition could result in scratches to the emulsion.
    I share that concern and I never thought of using a print washer because of risk of emulsion damage. I have been washing all my sheet film in the Jobo drum, then doing a short final wash in a water tray for a few seconds, just to make sure the back is clear, just prior to PhotoFo and drying.

My sequence for in-drum sheet film washing is:

Fix
    one-min water wash
    one-min permawash
    one-min water wash
    two-min water wash
    three-min water wash
    then out of tank, splash in a water tray to see if the water discolors, then photo flo and dry.

There is no risk of damage with my set up in side my 11x14 print washer, the film is in hangers and they don't rack and touch the edges. Each chamber is rather wide and the water flows in the same zig zag path as the print washer is designed, there are just half the chambers with this arrangement.
    But the lack of the "cross jet" type agitation during wash (or the total drain agitation in my gravity works) is the concern.

I guess I should find room for one of Alistair's.

IC, how many times do you fill and drain the jobo tank?
    Have you ever HT2 tested?

My 5x7 are washed in the gravity works with the basket removed and the hangers fit on the long side.