Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping LF gear?

Shipping LF gear?

Hi, all -

My 8x10 Seneca Improved projectis kind of in a holding pattern. Everything (except refinishing the bed, which is likely to wait a while) is done and ready. The bellows are coming along famously. I've sourced some recently-expired Arista.EDU Ultra 100 in 8x10.

Now, here's the rub: I have a roadtrip coming up quick, just me and the kids. Our current route is taking us through Virginia and along the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. Across Tennessee and Arkansas, and through north Texas. We're renting a ride, but only one-way, opting to fly on the way back (my wife is concerned for my sanity right about now). Logistically, it's gonna be a nightmare handling the 8x10, assuming the bellows are done in time, but I'm willing to do it.

So, I'd entertain hearing experiences of shipping gear, 'cause there's no way I'm checking an 8x10 and Ries. I'll likely just bring extra boxes and film bags and hold off on developing (I was going to bring the Uniroller and HC-110, but that seems pointless if we're flying back).

What'chall think?

Oh, and considering we're going to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, I'm seriously considering some 8x10 color print film. OMG.

Scott

Re: Shipping LF gear?

I always ship camera gear by USPS or UPS double boxed. Never had a problem.

UPS charged a bit extra to pack it themselves, which was required for it to be insurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Hi, all -
    So, I'd entertain hearing experiences of shipping gear, 'cause there's no way I'm checking an 8x10 and Ries. I'll likely just bring extra boxes and film bags and hold off on developing (I was going to bring the Uniroller and HC-110, but that seems pointless if we're flying back).
    I wanted that film

Dunno how much other baggage you're planning on packing, but per FAA regulations, photographers get an extra carry-on for equipment. Personally, I'd rather check it than ship it if I had the space; I don't think airline baggage handlers are any rougher than the treatment you'll get at the hands of USPS, UPS, et al. As far as theft, it would take a real set of brass balls to nick an 8x10 field camera and think it would go unnoticed, either at your end or theirs.

If I didn't have the space, I'd ship clothing home (lighter) and keep the camera in my baggage.

funkadelic

I would suggest shipping it via USPS/UPS/FedEx, just for the pure simplicity of not having to deal with airline policies and extra baggage. Make sure to cover it with insurance to recuperate all of your expense if lost.
    Like your wife, I'm concerned about your sanity. That 5 hour drive between Nashville and Little Rock is a long and boring one, without much appealing scenery (in my opinion). Be prepared for an endurance match of "I Spy" or schedule to drive that leg of the trip when the kids are asleep.
    Also, make sure each child is equipped with their own sidearm before entering Memphis city limits.

I'm tempted to double box it, insure it for $1000 and let Priority Mail have its way. But I'm not sure what the easiest, safest thing is. Maybe Pack-N-Ship. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris, we'll be loaded for bear - DVD, books, GameCube, DS, iPods, you name it. Didn't know that about Mephis, though. Planning on hitting the zoo and (maybe) Graceland...

In December I shipped my 4x5 and 3 lenses in a Peli 1510 with no external packaging from DC to Yosemite and back with Fedex outbound and UPS homebound (both ground). No probs with either. Will do the same happily on my next far flung photo trip.

Scott, if you are leaving from the DFW airport, I can be of help getting the camera packaged and back to you. Our warehouse is a few miles from the airport and UPS comes by 2x day. They ship my equipment for most of my travels.
    We have plenty of boxes and peanuts laying around!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

You can also bubble wrap the camera in a big ball placed snugly around the camera and put it in a solid cardboard box making sure that it can't move around inside.

I have had good luck with both my LF's traveling via USPS, so that should pose no problems. I've taken the route you are talking about several times in my life, in both directions. Its my wifes favorite road trip from here in Pa. to her dads in Texas. There is a shorter route, and its interesting in its own right, but cannot hold a candle to the BR Parkway. Dont hesitate to get off the main hiway and explore, its worth the s l o w ride.

Enjoy the excursion, and the time with the kids --they'll be grown before you know it.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Mail/UPS/Fedex your film back too. No sense in risking it to curious TSA folks who might want to open it in addition to the normal xraying.