Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations on scanning software

Re: Observations on scanning software

I've used Vuescan, Silverfast Ai, and Espon Scan in my 4990. I've never noticed any difference in how "sharp" the resulting scans were, the three programs all seemed to produce scans that were equally sharp. The differences to me were more in how much control one has over the scanning process (most with Silverfast, a little less with Vuescan, much less with EpsonScan) and in how intuitive they were to use (not very, especially Vuescan). However, most of my scanning has been of b&w negatives, only a relative handful of color negatives and slides. While I wouldn't think that would affect questions of sharpness, it obviously eliminates your color issues.

I've never tried wet mounting. For 4x5 I use a holder made by UMax and for 8x10 I placed the negative on the glass.

FWIW I turn off all sharpening at the scanning stage. I also don't use a separate sharpening program. I've been doing this so long now that I think I can pretty well judge for myself where sharpening should be applied and in what radius/amounts in which different areas of the photograph (I almost never just apply the same scan settings to the entire photograph). I briefly tested PK Sharpen years ago but the requirement to convert my b&w images to RGB and the resulting increase in file sizes was a killer for my then-computer. I'll have to try it again one of these days now that I have a much beefier computer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I briefly tested PK Sharpen years ago but the requirement to convert my b&w images to RGB and the resulting increase in file sizes was a killer for my then-computer. I'll have to try it again one of these days now that I have a much beefier computer.
    That certainly is a drawback, but now a minor inconvenience with more powerful computers.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    That certainly is a drawback, but now a minor inconvenience with more powerful computers.
    Nik Sharpener Pro is a much better product, IMO and last I checked PK Sharpener appears to be an orphaned product with no support on their forums. This has been the case for a very long time.

Jeff Schewe, one of the principals of PK Sharpener, stated quite a while ago on Photo Net that the product would be upgraded and the product forum support would be renewed.

So much for promises. Looks like their technology was sold to Adobe for Adobe Camera Raw and PS Lightroom. So I would rather spend my money on other products than those sold by Pixel Genius since it appears they have abandoned their customers.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Nik Sharpener Pro is a much better product, IMO and last I checked PK Sharpener appears to be an orphaned product with no support on their forums. This has been the case for a very long time.

Jeff Schewe, one of the principals of PK Sharpener, stated quite a while ago on Photo Net that the product would be upgraded and the product forum support would be renewed.

So much for promises. Looks like their technology was sold to Adobe for Adobe Camera Raw and PS Lightroom. So I would rather spend my money on other products than those sold by Pixel Genius since it appears they have abandoned their customers.

Don Bryant
    I purchased Nik Sharpener Pro but have not found the manual to be as user friendly as that of PK Sharpener. What you say about not spending money on software that is not being supported makes sense, but I bought PK Sharpener several years ago and have been very pleased with the results I get with it. And yes, having to convert to RGB to sharpen is a major inconvenience for me as I often work with grayscale files of 300-500 mb and converting them to RGB and running the sharpening with PK Sharpener takes a long time with my hardware. But overall I am very satisfied with the results I get with PK Sharpener

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post

Don Bryant
    I don't know what specifically you are referring to, but I just upgraded my OS to snow leopard and I re-installed PK sharpener, but forgot where I put my code. I e-mailed Pixel Genius and they sent me out a code right away.

I was pretty impressed with that level of service.

As far as upgrades... not sure what would be needed to make it better. It does the job and does it well. It works on every operating system I've used (OSX) and versions of photoshop since version 7 (I think that's when I bought PK) through CS4 and never any problems.

I've never used NIK, so I can't compare. But I am pleased with my final print results with PK sharpener.