Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

Re: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

I feel sorry for the folks that cruise through the redwoods region only in the summer -- and never get to see and smell the redwood forest in the rain.

Back when I printed mostly silver gelatin prints, the redwoods on windless overcast days were wonderful to photograph in -- especially between 10am and 2pm. Tons of easily controllable contrast. Sunny days (usually) mean windy days, but sometimes I get lucky.

Drew Wiley

Re: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

Vaughn - I actually like to photog the redwds in open sun, at least with b&w. It's a lot like flyfishing I guess, because it takes a lot of anticipation as well as downright luck, and quite a few get away. The scintillating light is constantly changing, so just about the time the 8x10 is focused, the whole composition has already changed. Two out of three times I don't even take the shot. But when something does connect it's sure a thrill. I'll admit that complex lighting isn't everyone's cup of tea, and for color work, fog or misty rain make life a whole lot easier; and fortunately, we get a lot of that on the coast too (nature's softbox).

That is one of the reasons I have taken up carbon printing -- it eats the contrast under the Redwoods on sunny days for lunch! But the quickly shifting light does keep one on one's toes!

Vaughn

Well I'm hoping for a mix of clouds and sun to keep things interesting. My understanding is that morning fog/overcast is pretty common there in the late spring and summer months? Any idea when the rhododendrons will be blooming this year?

Drew Wiley

Jeff - due to the El Nino, things like flowers seem to be running about a month later
    than typical. June should be wonderful, but hard to predict exactly which species will
    be blooming where. Fog is a fact of life here on the coast. So you will most likely start with that, then move into mixed lighting effects later in the day as it breaks up. Each
    phase of the fog cycle has its own appeal, but might require a selection of film (or zone options with b&w) to accommodate the varying circumstances. Remember to spend a little time crawling on your belly around beach dunes - those wild strawberries
    are small but delicious!

I was afraid the flowers might be late out there, wildflowers were definitely a few weeks late in TX this year. Oh well, not like I can reschedule now. There still should be plenty too shoot.

(I'm not too worried about handling the changing contrast and light, I shoot digital )

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKohn View Post
    Any idea when the rhododendrons will be blooming this year?
    They were blooming last week in Miranda.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKohn View Post
    Well I'm hoping for a mix of clouds and sun to keep things interesting. My understanding is that morning fog/overcast is pretty common there in the late spring and summer months? Any idea when the rhododendrons will be blooming this year?
    I saw rhodies blooming along the highway on the Oregon coast this past Sunday.

Summer on the northcoast -- foggy and still, or sunny and windy. Many times on the same day. It seems we get the nicest weather (sun with no wind) during the transition between Spring and Summer, and again when Summer transitions to Fall.

Vaughn

I had to revive this thread, just to acknowledge some of the great advice here. I just took a very (sadly) brief trip down to Redwoods over Memorial Day and I drew heavily from the advice on this thread.

I managed to hike the James Irvine/Miner's Ridge/Fern Canyon trail in Prairie Creek, and then drive the Howland Hill Road in Jedediah Smith SP the next day.

The James Irvine trail was spectacular and a wonderful way to spend my one full day in the park.

The Howland Hill Road was beyond words - just extraordinary! I'm at a loss of words to describe it (and have few photos to look back to, due to a lack of time). I'd love to go back and spend days just on this road.

Thanks for those who posted all the great advice in this thread (even though it wasn't for me) - I benefited greatly!

older than most

Heading down to the southern Oregon coast and Redwoods tomorrow...Wonderful country...Can't wait