Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

I'm considering a trip to the Northern CA coast in mid- to late-May (probably the week before Memorial day). Focus would be on the redwoods and the coast, including Redwood NP, Prairie Creek SP, Humboldt Redwoods SP, and the Lost Coast. Photography and hiking are the main activities (day-hikes only, no backpacking).

Lodging suggestions would be appreciated; no camping, but nothing fancy either. Clean, reasonably-priced motels or VRBO rentals are good. Location is important as I don't want to spend all our time driving back and forth. This seems like too large of an area to cover from a single base of operations, so I was thinking we could spend a few days closer to the northern parks, and then a few days further south by Humboldt SP and King Range NCA. I was thinking about Fendale or Fortuna in the south, and Trinidad or Crescent City to the north, but would be open to suggestions.

About the King Range NCA and Silkyone Wilderness SP, are there some good day-hiking options there? Does trail-head access require serious 4WD?

Any other tips/suggestions would be welcome, such as time-of-day advice for specific locations, weather considerations, etc.

Thanks!

Re: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

Well, that is all my stomping grounds. So sorry, but I have already taken all the good photos in this area, so you might want to go somewhere else.

http://rv4fun.com/ This is an RV Park that has cabins -- beautiful spot that has an elk herd, meadow and just about on Stone Lagoon. A short drive north to Redwood National Park and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (about 10 minutes). I helped out with a photo workshop last month that stayed here (camping and cabins). good reports -- or at least no complaints from anyone in the cabins. (I camped)

http://redwoodadventures.com/ This is a little further north (2 or 3 miles north of Orick) -- very central to Redwood NP and Prairie Creek. Brand new place with six 2 or 3 bedroom houses they rent. Might be more than what you want in size -- don't know cost.

There is one motel in Orick -- avoid it...and the one cafe is questionable. If it is open, the Snack Shack on the main drag of Orick (and only drag) has the best burgers in the county -- old fashion American artery-clogging type! Avoid the "Paul Bunyon" though unless you have good health insurance -- big chunk of hamburger meat, cheese, bacon and ham!

On the way up to Crescent City, you will pass Trees of Mystery (with huge statues of Paul Bunyun and Babe the Blue Ox) -- a tourist trap to be sure, but the gift store is free -- and it has a pretty amazing collection of Native American artifacts. Worth the stop if you are into such things (also the Clark Museum in Eureka).

Any reasonable motel in Cresent City (lots of them) would do well as a jumping off point for Jed Smith Redwoods State Park. Howland Hill Road out of Crescent City is an incredible 1 to 1.5 car width dirt road through the redwoods!

Hiking on the Lost Coast might be more than you want to handle (distance to trailheads, hiking distance and steepness). The Southern Redwoods (Humboldt Redwoods State Park) are great -- watch out for the poison oak, though. The redwoods on the Eel River flood plain are amazing -- different feel than the redwoods to the north. Anywhere along the Avenue of the Giants is great, but check out Bull Creek Flat.

Redwood National Park -- consider stopping off at the Visitor Center and getting the combo for the gate down to the Tall Trees Grove. They only let a small number of cars to go down there per day.

I am at work, and I better get back to work! If you have specific questions, let me know!

Vaughn

PS...the image below was taken from the side of Howland Hill Road

Re: Northern CA (Redwoods NP, Humboldt SP, Lost Coast, etc) Trip Planning Advice

I've been up there several times and my wife went to school up there for a bit. We also have friends in the area, so when we go, we just follow them out on hikes. It's pretty easy to get "out there" without having to walk too far. You're basically in the forest, right out of town. I can't comment on the locations you mentioned specifically, but my best advice would be to have a trail map and a good idea of where you are heading. A lot of land out there is used by pot growers and while the property lines on the roadways are blocked typically with razor or barbed wire and cyclone fencing, the backside property lines are often not. You can find yourself on a very unhappy land owner's lot quickly, and you will probably be the one lesser armed. I'm not kidding. Just plan and know where you are, and it's a beautiful area.

My favorite area is a little further north around Trinidad.

I wanna go...

- Wil

I wanna go . . .

~Steve

A vote for Ferndale. For color shoot the Victorian homes and B & B's. The cemetery is very picturesque.

Hi Jeff, I lived in Crescent City for 14 years and it is a reasonably priced place to hang out. As Vaughn suggested don't miss Howland Hill Road, the Smith River and the beach at CC has a great view of a 13 acre island called Castle Rock that is a wildlife preserve where 50,000 Aleutian Geese migrate through. There is a lighthouse too at the harbor where some of the motels are. Also from CC your just a hop skip and jump from Bandon Beach in Oregon, can't miss. Have a great time.

http://www.aleutiangoosefestival.org/

Hopelessly Lost

Usal Beach and the dirt road is a great trip. Late in the summer there are more blackberries the size of your thumb than you can count. Good times.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Thanks for the replies everybody, lots of great info. I'll check out those lodging options. It seems like there's a bit more to do/see in the northern parts around the NP, I think we'll spend the bulk of our time up there and just save a couple of days for Humboldt Redwoods SP.

We have found the Raven Wood Motel which is located near Klamath, CA as a nice central place to stay along the N. CA coast.
    http://www.ravenwoodmotel.com/

It is a beautiful area.....enjoy. Jon