Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neg numbering problem

Neg numbering problem

I'm working on a new project and I've run into an odd problem. I need to shoot a series of photographs--let's say it is a light bulb against a dark surround. I need to shoot two images at the same time, using two cameras. I need to shoot a bunch of these pairs.

Later, I want to match the pairs up. I can't use any sort of notch method of numbering the holders since the dark surround will not expose the notches.

How to match them up?

Here are my ideas but I'm looking for better ones.

1) Put a little written tag in the image area, at the edge. Might work and I can erase them after I scan the negs but I'm worried that "glow" from the light source might reach the tag area--and I don't want to retouch to that extent.

2) I could i.d. the holders and develop the negs two at a time. Slow and painful but it would work.

3) I could buy some sort of neg system (tubes?) that I could number and keep the negs sorted and id'ed the whole way through the process. I don't think I'm organized enough for this...

Any other ideas?

--Darin

Re: Neg numbering problem

Use a paper punch to punch notches in patterns along the edges of the film before loading it into the film holders.
    Jerome

You could number the holders for the exposure. Then when you get ready to process you could take a pair of scissors and clip one of the four corners of the film slightly. For one set the upper right, another set the upper left, another set the lower right, and another set the lower left. Then you can process 8 sheets at a time and keep the sets straight.

A system that is used at times is to use different shaped files to make a series of notches in the flap on the film holder. Use the shapes like Roman Numerals (or whatever system you wish). This will be exposed when you expose the sheet of film.. If you do this however, make sure to clean the holder wery well afterwards or you will have problems with the dust from filing.

The filmholders with the interlock button (that many hate, but I like) have a number wheel that imprints a number of your choice on the film at the time of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The filmholders with the interlock button (that many hate, but I like) have a number wheel that imprints a number of your choice on the film at the time of exposure.
    Where does one find these?

LF 3D? Do the pictures need to be at exactly the same time, or could you move the holder from to another? If the pairs are in the same holder, it makes it a lot easier to keep the in sync. You could then use a 3010 expert drum and keep them paired.

(in 4x5) Grafmatic... number wheel projects onto the film during exposure. You would need two, with working number wheels. They hold six shots.

Does the Grafmatic need light from the image to work? That is the problem with the edge notching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Does the Grafmatic need light from the image to work? That is the problem with the edge notching.
    Yes. The wheel comes into the image rectangle slightly