Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 8x10 enlarger?

What grain???????? largeformat apt's Avatar

Re: Which 8x10 enlarger?

I have the L184, I also have a couple of omegas. If you can go the the durst. Bits still floating a round. I feel a good steady enlarger.
    Pat

A point to consider is if all the negative carriers you like to use with this enlarger are present. I think they are harder to find than lenses.
    Also a point is if one had electric focus. Believe me, your arms are not long enough and focusing becomes a two mans job.

Gary,
    Though the Omega does have a power lift I don't think it comes with the pushbutton controller - shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate it if I can't find one on ebay. Interestingly the Chromega F does have an 18" long fine focus extension knob intended for making manual focusing a bit more convenient. Certainly the current owner used the machine extensively for both 8x10 and 4x5 but never felt the need to use the power lift feature.

This 8x10" (20x25cm) enlarger will be used for the photographs taken with the Bender large format but also to allow various manipulations becoming to difficult using 24x36mm, the transfer to a large format support will ease the job while keeping a high quality level.

I only know the Fotar. A very stable 'tank'. All 3 planes (neg, lens, baseboard) are adjustable, probably so on the other units also. The Chromega F is not that bad evenness-wise if you use the 8x10 acrylic diffuser which evens out the light a bit; the 4x5 diffuser I have works less well, I use the 810 for everything--the homemade mask is the best idea tho. I personally don't care much for the chromega head: fan noise, vibration, air blowing, etc. Coldlite for me.
    However, all that being said, I too would grab the package with the lenses especially if one of them is an 8x10 lens, ie 240mm+

Red face Re: Which 8x10 enlarger?

Well, I ended up with the Omega F. It's at home and assembled and looks to be in good working condition though a couple of lamps were burned out. I've ordered a set of four lamps and sockets for about $40 - just to start off with all the bulbs of the same age and output. The thing is very industrial-looking with it's truss style chassis - not M1 Abrahms stolid like the Fotar or moon launch complex like the Durst. It actually did come with the elevation controller and I've had fun watching the head go up and down . The table adjustment is simple but because of the sloping column it seems that the projected image would over shoot the leading edge of the table at enlargement sizes much beyond 16x20 - I suppose the easel arrangement would have to provide the additional paper support beyond the table edge - or it would be simple enough to fabricate a table extension. There are three Rodagon lenses - 210, 240 and 300 which should meet any current and future needs I would have. Lloyd, you mention a cold light source for your Fotar - though i know the Fotar mount for the Chromega head is different than what Omega originally provided for their F line - do you think the Omega could be adapted to the same type of light? Does it just slide into the Chromega sleeve? Is your cold light head a Fotar design or an independent?

Nice work. Seems like you got a great enlarger. No need for a cold cathode when you have the Chromega, which I would think is a much better light source.

If you wind up replacing the Chromega head, "kpphoto" is looking for a head I believe.

Thanks IC...

I have a Durst L1840 with a CLS 1840 head. It is missing the EST 1000 but IC told me how to McGiver it to run the head and fan without it.
    I am still clearing out darkroom space and replacing a few parts. I should have it up and heating up the space soon.
    If anyone has any leads on the EST 1000(n), Laraneg 810 inserts or perhaps the 5x7 mix/diff box, let me know.
    IF I cant get the head going I MAY trade it for another one but hope the CLS1840 will work out.