Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

Re: New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

Be careful and check out the meter - about 3 years ago I bought what was allegedly one of the last batch of Pentax digital spot meters from Robert White as none were available new stateside.

I found that it was not metering the marked spot, but a spot directly underneath the marked spot and was off by roughly the diameter of the spot. I called Robert White and they said they'd send it back to Pentax, which they said they did, and it returned the same way. I also asked them to check another meter or two, and they said they were off too.

I checked the meter with a bare light bulb and found that it reached maximum well before the marked spot reached the edge of the bulb. A comparison Sekonic and Pentax indicated correctly.

So there was apparently a batch that had a problem.

Cheers, Steve

Terence

The Pocket Spot guys are indeed a bit spotty on replying to emails, etc. They basically make the meters as a hobby. I was on their list for a long, long time, but I did eventually get my meter. And I love it. I do this as a hobby as well, so to me, it was worth the wait. If I did photography as a business, the equation would be different.

But it IS an excellent, innovative meter, at a fair price.

I also have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot, which I like, but have never loved. While obviously an excellent meter, it's too bulky for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    The Pocket Spot guys are indeed a bit spotty on replying to emails, etc. They basically make the meters as a hobby. I was on their list for a long, long time, but I did eventually get my meter. And I love it. I do this as a hobby as well, so to me, it was worth the wait. If I did photography as a business, the equation would be different.

But it IS an excellent, innovative meter, at a fair price.

I also have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot, which I like, but have never loved. While obviously an excellent meter, it's too bulky for my tastes.
    Oh.. I still want the meter, I just am concerned I have not heard back from him since December. I was a year on the waiting list before he contacted me last December to let me know there was one available. I don't mind the wait, its the lack of communication when money is spent that I have a small issue with.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Terence

True. I was on the wait list from probably almost two years ago the first time they decided to do another batch. When they decided the second time, my name was still on their list.

Admittedly, I don't think I paid long before actual shipping. That IS a bit different. But I will say I think they're honest folk, but distracted/slow, as it seems more of a hobby for them.

When it DOES show up, I think you'll be quite pleased with the product, though. As an engineer, it satisfies my desire for good, practical design. And as a klutz, it seems to satisfy my need for equipment hardened against all but nuclear attack.