Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

Hello

This is what I saw on the bay. Price is 679 USD. What is it? a refurbished version? or a scam? or... ?

Have you bought one of those?
    Follow me on Twitter or Flickr

Re: New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

Vincent,

I'm not sure what you are asking. However, the Pentax spotmeter seems to be in short supply these days. None of the few big camera stores that I checked online seem to carry it. It is available from the Pentax online store, listed at USD 749 and Calumet UK lists it (GBP 599).

Maybe someone here can tell us what the deal is with the availability of the Pentax spotmeter new. Has it been discontinued? If not, why don't B&H and Calumet in the US have it in their catalogues?

There do seem to be a number of used ones on eBay for reasonable prices still.

FWIW, I own two Pentax spotmeters and love them.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Thanks Doremus. You are right, my previous post is not very clear. I thought that the digital spotmeter from Pentax was discontinued years ago and now I see some new ones on the bay. I was wondering what was behind this?

It's not discontinued:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging...others.html#05

The question is what accounts for the spotty distribution outside Japan. But that seems consistent with Pentax policy of backing off from marketing of its high-end products outside of the home market in recent years. For example, distribution of the 645 and 67 systems stopped in the US several years ago, but they're still sold new in Japan (although production of the bodies and the 67-system lenses was stopped last year). Similarly, the Pentax LX remained current in Japan for several years after Pentax USA stopped importing it.

It will be interesting to see whether they try to move upscale in foreign markets again with the 645D.

Ok... Thanks Oren for the info. Indeed not discontinued! Then I can buy one

Vincent,

I too have a Pentax spot and have liked it. But you can save your self some money. Get a Pocket Spot from Metered Light and save about $300.00 US$. The meter is small and compact and works very well. It is sold by them so you need to contact them for a sale.

Jan Pietrzak

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    Vincent,

I too have a Pentax spot and have liked it. But you can save your self some money. Get a Pocket Spot from Metered Light and save about $300.00 US$. The meter is small and compact and works very well. It is sold by them so you need to contact them for a sale.

Jan Pietrzak
    Good luck on getting anything from them. Sending them a message is like dropping it down a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barber View Post
    Good luck on getting anything from them. Sending them a message is like dropping it down a black hole.

I have to agree... I even paid for a pocket spot in December, but the one he was going to send out hand an imperfection. So he said it would be a couple weeks to get another out. I have not heard from him since. I have sent him a few emails (about once a month) and still no word. I hope it is not a health issue, but other than that I don't realy see any reasonable excuse for why he has not returned my emails. After all, I have allready paid him.

As for the Pentax digital.. I purchased one from Calumet last spring for $499.95, but back then they still listed it on there website. I see now that they no longer do.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

hacker extraordinaire

That's an outrageous price. Makes me happy I made my own.

Pentax is interesting. They mailed me a manual for the P67II and a meter prism, and just sent a modest bill. Honor system. That makes me feel awfully good about them.