Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Epson V700 - advice

Re: New Epson V700 - advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Hugo,

I scan my 8x10's on my 4990 without the AN glass. As long as I put the film emulsion side down, I never get newton rings. Maybe try it first before you spend the $$ on the AN glass.
    That was my experience as well.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I used to think the EpsonScan was easy to use and did a decent job. I still think the same, but Silverfast, though offering a more complex interface, does a much better job.

I've noted this in some other threads. It was playing with Leigh Perry's comparative scanning transparency with both EpsonScan and Silverfast that convinced me not to bother with the EpsonScan anymore. In full manual mode, EpsonScan wasn't able capture the deepest shadows and brightest highlights. It simply clipped the data.

With Silverfast, using the HDR-48 bit mode, I easily captured both shadow and highlight information.

A shame that you couldn't get the 750 package. Seems to me that the 700 isn't bundled with the higher end SF software, or Monaco EZ color. Used in tandem to generate my scanner profile at gamma 3.0 and then to capture in HDR-48 bit, they made a big difference in my results. You might consider an upgrade of the SF software and see if you can track down a copy of EZ color.

Multipass and wetmounting (I use 3/16" glass mounted directly to the platen) were the other biggest contributors to improved capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I am looking at Espon V700 as well. My negatives will be in 5x7, 6.5x8.5 and 8x10 sizes. It seems the Better Scanning Holder can't do the latter two sizes. Any suggustions?

Digged into some older threads and the solution seems to be a piece of AN glass for $104 from Focal Point. Right?
    Here ya go Hugo.I use this guys stuff for 4x5 and 8x10.The 4x5 holders aren't as nice as betterscanning's, but the 8x10 is leaps and bounds better

http://www.wetmounting.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    I used to think the EpsonScan was easy to use and did a decent job. I still think the same, but Silverfast, though offering a more complex interface, does a much better job.

I've noted this in some other threads. It was playing with Leigh Perry's comparative scanning transparency with both EpsonScan and Silverfast that convinced me not to bother with the EpsonScan anymore. In full manual mode, EpsonScan wasn't able capture the deepest shadows and brightest highlights. It simply clipped the data.

With Silverfast, using the HDR-48 bit mode, I easily captured both shadow and highlight information.

A shame that you couldn't get the 750 package. Seems to me that the 700 isn't bundled with the higher end SF software, or Monaco EZ color. Used in tandem to generate my scanner profile at gamma 3.0 and then to capture in HDR-48 bit, they made a big difference in my results. You might consider an upgrade of the SF software and see if you can track down a copy of EZ color.

Multipass and wetmounting (I use 3/16" glass mounted directly to the platen) were the other biggest contributors to improved capture.
    I was using a Nikon LS2000 before getting a V700. I was working with images of the retina, which are generally dark. The V700 did these much better than the LS2000 which often reversed deep red (my old Minolta would do this too). I did play with the "curves" section in Epson SW to enhance the dark slides.
    For my own work I always scanned at 48 bit in the Epson software and never noticed highlight clipping. it was one of the first from Epson, maybe the one at work was a freak
    My job changed, so I just ordered a V700 for home, I'll see how the new one is.

Tom

Thanks for the tips, chaps. Will spend a bit of time experimenting with it this weekend and maybe have a play with silverfast. I'm not scanning for galleries or anything and is mainly for archiving my own shots and sharing with friends/family on flickr but would be good to get the best out of the scanner as I can. I'll give the feet a go today!

Oh, what's the best way of cleaning sheets before I scan them? Run them through a wash with some wetting agent or something along those lines?

Will spend a bit of time experimenting with it this weekend and maybe have a play with silverfast.
    Silverfast has some good video tutorials to help demystify the process. Even better is a $25 invesment in a monthly subscription to lynda.com where they have some great scanning tutorials, among others.

Oh, what's the best way of cleaning sheets before I scan them? Run them through a wash with some wetting agent or something along those lines?
    see this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=cleaning

BTW, I now prefer LUMINA mounting fluid to KAMI (less fumes).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Silverfast has some good video tutorials to help demystify the process. Even better is a $25 invesment in a monthly subscription to lynda.com where they have some great scanning tutorials, among others.

see this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=cleaning

BTW, I now prefer LUMINA mounting fluid to KAMI (less fumes).
    Ah great thread. I'll have a good read of that. Thanks!

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

After years of using Silverfast, I finally tired of it's un-intuitive and confusing user interface. All those silly icons and multiple windows...the black and white film settings are completely useless.

I now use VueScan Pro. Life is simpler and scanning is sensible again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    After years of using Silverfast, I finally tired of it's un-intuitive and confusing user interface. All those silly icons and multiple windows...the black and white film settings are completely useless.

I now use VueScan Pro. Life is simpler and scanning is sensible again.
    Me too, I do like it a lot.

Free trial:

https://www.hamrick.com/