Thread: how to scan 6x24 neg on epson 4870pro

how to scan 6x24 neg on epson 4870pro

need your expertise.

i just purchased a fotoman 624 and will be scanning the negs on epson 4870pro. but i have no holders to fit the format.

the website www.betterscanning.com does not have 624 holders.

can i just use a Anti-Newton Glass plate and put the neg between the glass and the scanning surface? and where do i find a 8x10 glass plate?

or is there a better method? i rather not try to scan in 2 parts and stitch in PS.

thank you in advanced for your help

ARS KC2UU

Re: how to scan 6x24 neg on epson 4870pro

When I received my Epson 4990 there was no holder suitable for 6x17-cm frames. So I made my own. Takes a bit of work but I've scanned hundreds with it so far. An example attached. Email me if you would like the details. I already sent a complete description with photos to another member. Would be easy to duplicate and make it 6x24-cm. Regards. Bob G. rguinter@yahoo.com
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom2zoom View Post
    need your expertise.

i just purchased a fotoman 624 and will be scanning the negs on epson 4870pro. but i have no holders to fit the format.
    Is the negative produced by the Fotoman 624 a full 24cm in width? If so, you will not be able to scan all of it with the Epson 4870 since the readable area of the transparency area is only 5.7" X 9.1". 9.1" That means the widest you can get from the 6X24cm negative is 22.8 cm, unless the scanning area is a bit larger than specification.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

You could try modifying the bettercascanning MF holder by increasing the opening from 213mm to 226mm to give the Anti-Newton glass 2mm either side. The fotoman 624's image area is 56 x 224 and with some careful trimming it should be achievable.

I recently scanned some very old black and white negs in an odd format that none of my v700 holders would fit. I made up a film holder by cutting down templates from matt board using an angled matt cutter leaving 2mm overlap all around to sandwich the neg.

I then used electrical tape the full length and width along the bottom edge to shim the holders up to focus height. I then added some foam door sealing tape to keep the holder firm on the glass and with bit of trial and error this worked fine.

The glass would be important factor to ensure consistent flatness over the entire area if using a matt board template for such a long strip of film but you could easily cut the matt board to accommodate the glass.

I've scanned 5x7's on my 4870 and am pretty sure one could scan a 2.25"x8" image.

I'm wondering if one could scan the left 8" and the right 8" and use a merge tool to "stitch" them together. There would be a 6" overlap between the two scans, and it would seem that this large overlap could enable the merging software to bring the two scans together rather easily.

I haven't tried this approach, though.