Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a rail camera be better to work faster in the field?

Re: Can a rail camera be better to work faster in the field?

OK, I’m thinking about buying the Arca-Swiss F-Metric 8x10 with the Orbix feature.

Before my questions, I should say that around here, in good old Portugal, there isn’t a large-format photo community – I hardly know someone that shoots it – and can’t find a shop that sells Arca-Swiss.
    So, I was getting information about the system in a catalog and in a French site that seems to be the closest thing to the company official web site (http://www.galerie-photo.com/a-visit...ca-swiss.html), but reading Ling Z’s thread “Praises on new Arca Swiss F-Metric 8X10” I’m thinking their info is not updated.

Mainly, concerning bellows properties: looking at that site, the bellows seemed to be very limiting for extreme wide-angle lenses, even using the wide-angle bellows, but Ling Z refers “The new bellows is very soft and flexible. My 65mm lens can focus at infinity without any problem.” Is this confirmed by practice? Are we speaking about the regular bellows or the wide-angle one? The leather or the Synthetic one?
    Is now easy to use a lens like the Super-Symmar XL Aspheric 5,6/150mm?

And is it possible to positively use the Super-Angulon XL 5,6/72mm with this outfit? (without changing the back stand for a 5x7 one – film hard to find, and more gear and clumsiness to go around. And I think that having more film available will allow for more displacement of the lens, right? We can crop the void film after.)

Is it possible to use the Apo-Tele-Xenar 12/800mm, or similar Nikkors, with the regular or long bellows?

2: From the same thread “Anyone have any complaints about wobble in the rear 8x10 standard when it is locked down with some tilt applied?” “Rory, I agree there's slight wobble in the rear standard when it's locked down. This is due to the nature how the frame is attached to the F-Metric function carrier.”
    As this been a real issue using the camera? Any way of improving it?

3: The choice between telescopic and collapsible bench (rail). In real use, what are the pros and cons of each one? Are they equally strong/rigid and reliable?
    What is the “closed” size of the standard (50cm) telescopic one?
    Is the collapsible bench in the advertising catalog photo the standard 50cm (It would be something like 25cm when collapsed, with the two function carriers attached to the same portion resulting in a very compact configuration of the whole camera)? (I´m thinking about packing issues)

4: The F-metric outfit has a rear format frame of the F-Classic type. Is there a 8x10 F-metric one? Are there real advantages in changing this specific component from the F-Classic to the F-Metric?

It's photography golden hour. Great shots for you all! Nelson

The advertising photo I mentioned:

You should start a new thread with these specific questions about Arca-Swiss. There are probably only a handful of people on this forum who have an 8x10 Arca-Swiss w Orbix to advise you from. Unfortunately the company provides very little customer support and relies on its user base to help each other. The cameras are very nice and there is such a demand that they can afford to be arrogant, even if it is at the point of being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Sousa View Post
    OK, I’m thinking about buying the Arca-Swiss F-Metric 8x10 with the Orbix feature.

Before my questions, I should say that around here, in good old Portugal, there isn’t a large-format photo community – I hardly know someone that shoots it – and can’t find a shop that sells Arca-Swiss.
    So, I was getting information about the system in a catalog and in a French site that seems to be the closest thing to the company official web site (http://www.galerie-photo.com/a-visit...ca-swiss.html), but reading Ling Z’s thread “Praises on new Arca Swiss F-Metric 8X10” I’m thinking their info is not updated.

It's photography golden hour. Great shots for you all! Nelson
    Hi Nelson,

I have the original F-Classic 8x10 and I was able to play with the new version quite a bit at recent camera shows. One big advantage on the new camera is the bellows. It is much more flexible than the older series. I was able to focus a Nikon 150 SW at infinity with a full range of movements. I don't think you would shoot much wider than 150mm with 8x10. You can also use 120mm and probably get some movements but I wasn't able to try that combo. As for longer lenses, you can certainly use a 600mm (non-telephoto) lens with movements. The bellows on this camera is very versatile. They did make the front standard smaller with the new camera (i prefer the 171mm standard). The new front standard is big enough for any modern lens. The 171mm size is better for big petzvals though.

Pete

Hi Nelson,
    I have some good news for you: I am portuguese, living in Portugal, and also shoot large format: 9x12/4x5, 13x18 and 8x10"! Yes, we are quite rare over here, but we do exist!
    In 4x5 I have two types of cameras: a monorail Sinar F2 and a Gandolfi Variant (level III). Although the Gandolfi is a field model, I guess that it is at least so heavy or heavier than the Sinar monorail, although it also has almost so much movements.
    In 8x10 (and 13x18/5x7 with a reducing back), I use a Gandolfi Precision. Although it is also a field camera, it is also not "light". As some other people have said, I wouldn't choose a very light camera: I prefer my cameras and my tripods on the heavier side (yes, I know my back pains, but bad photographs cause even more pain...).
    Both types of cameras have, obviously, advantages and disadvantages, even if the weight is similar: the Sinar can easily accomodate all my lenses from the 58mm Super Angulon to the 600mm, allowing for some "extreme" movements, or even longer bellows if I get a couple more acessories. The Variant III can't go over the 480mm Apo-Ronar (you can change the bellows for a Wide A, but it is not so easy to use the 58mm).
    Although the Gandolfi Precision 8x10 doesn't allow for an interchangeable bellows, it has a clever design that allows to easily fit a Grandagon 115mm, all the way up to the 600mm (yes I would prefer 800, even if only for a better close-up capability with the 600...).
    For me, the great advantage of these specific field cameras is ease of transportation, not weight!
    Cheers, and maybe we see us around sometime.
    Rui

I have a sinar F 8x10. Would never carry a P. I lug the monster around fairly well. The primary reason - all my lenses use only one shutter. I find that a big advantage. I have used sinar for so long that I would not know how to focus without the Sinar grids. Depth of field adjustment is also a dream. I have a 4x5 F I bought in '73 and still use it. Same shutter as 810.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Sousa View Post
    When I speaked about speed of operation was because I would love to make a few shots of some favorite landscapes, wich usually implies dealing with very ellusive weather and light conditions - in a moment it's there, the next second it's not anymore - and even with the medium format sometimes it's to slow.
    LF isn't going to help you with this. Rapidly changing light conditions or weather aren't LF's forte. If you need speed to chase cloud formations, you should consider instead smaller formats and perhaps zoom lenses. If you insist on LF, then a press camera that you can shoot hand-held might work. I'm just sayin' that if you need speed, you should use equipment that helps you respond quickly.

Alternatively, you might consider adopting a more LF attitude. That is, setup on your scene, then stand back and watch the light and/or the weather change. When it gets to where you like it, make an exposure. Just be prepared to tear down your setup without ever making a photograph. Some times the weather/light just doesn't cooperate.

Bruce Watson

I've shouldered my 8x10 Sinar Norma (with wooden tripod) for very long hikes, and when I get to where I want to use it, I'm glad it's along. A shoulder bag holds all the misc stuff.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a tachihara field and a cambo monorail. both 4x5. The cambo weighs about twice the tachi. The axis movements help me work smoother and maybe faster as there is little change in composition with movement. I have every lens on linhof boards. I prefer using the cambo unless hiking or biking far with a pack. The cambo needs a super trekker backpack while the tachi needs a mini trekker?! If both were 8x10, I think the difference would still apply.

Rail cameras are usually the fancy-pants cousins to the field cameras, but I think it comes down to what you are used to working with, and what you're willing to carry.
    I use the field more than the monorail outside, because I can put everything in a shoulder bag (incl four lenses and at least 4 Grafmatics), and use a smaller tripod.