Thread: Does Silverfast capture more DR than Epson Scan?

Does Silverfast capture more DR than Epson Scan?

I have a Epson 4990, it came with Silverfast and Epson Scan. Typically I hate installing additional programs so I've stayed with Epson Scan.

Recently I've been learning Silverfast is considered the better scanning utility available (opinions?). I do all my processing in Photoshop. Correct my if I'm wrong but I assumed the adjustments available to you in any scanning software couldn't be any better than in Photoshop (aside from dust removal and Digital ICE).

So unless someone explains I'm wrong, my goal with scanning has always been to capture the highest quality raw image to work with in Photoshop.

I've been looking into Silverfast and it has an Scan in HDR mode which I thought means it will simply attempt to capture the highest dynamic range possible. This is what I want. Would Silverfast in this mode capture a higher DR than using Epson Scan?

Should the software matter how much dynamic range is captured if in both programs I've been avoiding any adjustments?

Re: Does Silverfast capture more DR than Epson Scan?

My Epson came with a "Special Edition" of Silverfast. Had none of the bells and wistles that Silverfast was known for. I could upgrade for $270. So I have used Epson Scan, Professional section only for several years. If you scan at 48 bit color (16 bit b&w) mode you get excellent dynamic range. It has better dynamic range than the other two scanners I am familiar with, a Nikon LS2000 and a Minolta Scan Multi.

Tom

I don't know whether the software pulls more or less DR out, but I found in general I've had better colour contrast, and easier adjustments using silverfast than i have the epson software, but that's just because i never use the correct colour film for the lighting around me

thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I've been scanning using Epson Scan at the highest possible bit depths. I can't imagine different software would capture a higher DR, but that's what I'm wondering.

Anyone know for sure?

Silverfast AI Studio has a mode that does increase the DR over the non-Studio version. I recently upgraded and have no regrets. I used the Epson scan for a while but found it to be wholly unsatisfying with the V750 scanner on a Mac. The quality was not what the scanner is capable of and most of my film looked bad. When I switched to Silverfast there was a dramatic improvement in the quality.

Silverfast is a bit touchy and on occasion it will crash and then refuse to work again until you reboot. But this only happens about 1 out of every 100 sheets or so.

The 48 bit HDR mode in SF captures a wider dynamic range than Epsonscan based on my tests of Leigh Perry's collaborative scanning transparency. The best I could do with Epsonscan clipped both highlights and shadows at both extremes. The SF HDR setting got it all, and more. Using the HDR setting is essential in my current V750 workflow, where I also set my gamma to 3.0.

The software package (Monaco EZ Color and SF) that is bundled with the V750 pro is more than worth the additional cost, IMO.