Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC "tripod law"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NYC "tripod law"

Twice today I was approached by city park officials (in an outer borough, not Manhattan) for using my 8x10 field camera on a tripod. Never mind that people were using DSLRs on a tripod within 50 feet of me and were not hassled.

One of the officers just asked about my camera and left me alone after he satisfied his curiosity. The other one asked for my permit sternly and told me to immediately stop what I was doing. After I showed him, as I was disassembling the camera by his order, that there was nothing but air inside the actual camera and that it was not some high tech device, he took pity on my crazy hobby and allowed me to continue.

Months ago, I called the New York City film commission and asked if I need a permit to use a view camera and they said no, that I did not need a permit to use a view camera under any circumstances and that the law was meant to regulate commercial film crews and photographers. Yet it seems city officers do not understand the intent of the law.

We live in a very sad age, where drug dealers in Washington Square Park are never arrested after years of dealing on the same street corner (I know their faces well by now), but people using an 8x10 view camera are called into question twice in two hours.

Re: NYC "tripod law"

Yeah, the cops most likely stepped over three dead hookers, and drove by a few meth labs, on the way to hassle you.

They stopped at the second (meth lab) to score.

What are you complaining about? Both of the officers let you to continue with your hobby. They asked questions - that's their job too. The more cops know what a view camera is the better for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    What are you complaining about? Both of the officers let you to continue with your hobby. They asked questions - that's their job too. The more cops know what a view camera is the better for the rest of us.
    I'm complaining because they don't know their own laws (see my post just above) and it is ridiculous to hassle someone engaged in such a peaceful activity, who is following the rules, in a free country.

Also, he didn't let me continue. He forced me to take my entire setup down before he relented. In the meantime, the light had completely changed (sunset) and I didn't get to take the original shot I had set up for.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I'm complaining because they don't know their own laws (see my post just above) and it is ridiculous to hassle someone engaged in such a peaceful activity, who is following the rules, in a free country.

Also, he didn't let me continue. He forced me to take my entire setup down before he relented. In the meantime, the light had completely changed (sunset) and I didn't get to take the original shot I had set up for.
    In the end, he let you continue. He knew that as a commercial photographer you would need a permission. He was just human in his daily job - wanted to know. Perhaps if you showed him the inside of your camera first and explained kindly, he would let you continue right away?

In the end, he let you continue. He knew that as a commercial photographer you would need a permission. He was just human in his daily job - wanted to know. Perhaps if you showed him the inside of your camera first and explained kindly, he would let you continue right away?
    GPS, if you are a professional still photographer and not doing anything differently than an amateur, you don't need a permit in NYC. The permits are meant to regulate film crews, not still photography. Read the linked doc a few posts back.

I don't have any idea why you are taking up for this person. You weren't there, so you don't know how he was acting towards me. It was not pleasant at first. He wasn't "just wanting to know." I was only able to convince him to let me start again WHILE I was taking down my camera. He didn't give me the option to explain beforehand.

Maybe we should go out shooting together in NYC and then you might understand that there are much larger problems in NYC on every corner than a man taking a photograph by himself with no one within 100 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    GPS, if you are a professional still photographer and not doing anything differently than an amateur, you don't need a permit in NYC. The permits are meant to regulate film crews, not still photography. Read the linked doc a few posts back.

I don't have any idea why you are taking up for this person. You weren't there, so you don't know how he was acting towards me. It was not pleasant at first. He wasn't "just wanting to know." I was only able to convince him to let me start again WHILE I was taking down my camera. He didn't give me the option to explain beforehand.

Maybe we should go out shooting together in NYC and then you might understand that there are much larger problems in NYC on every corner than a man taking a photograph by himself with no one within 100 meters.
    I was kicked out of the Bronx botanical garden not only once (and I was a member of it, haha), I was left in peace in the Brooklyn bot. garden etc. etc. Com'on, get over it.
    You can become a member of the Association of police friends (or something like that, it's been long time since I lost my membership card) - always appreciated when shown to a cop...

I was kicked out of the Bronx botanical garden not only once (and I was a member of it, haha), I was left in peace in the Brooklyn bot. garden etc. etc. Com'on, get over it.
    You can become a member of the Association of police friends (or something like that, it's been long time since I lost my membership card) - always appreciated when shown to a cop...
    I'm certainly not going to resort to bribery or "payola" to be able to enjoy my rights. Not sure what you think this country should be.

I really don't have anything more to say to you.

I'm not sure who pisses me off more, the asshole or the assholes apologist!