Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Price: Toyo or Toyota

Price: Toyo or Toyota

Andre,

I already have a fast woman! So my second choice would be a fast horse, a sprinter... say 6 furlongs, but without the vet and training fees. Or a rough coated Jack Russell, bad to the bone, but British!

What are you talking about Bob? I was joking too! Niguel Turner keeps me in 'stitches', if his lips are moving, I'm laughing.

The best laughs are half true and half joke. I joke with Niguel with a great deal of sincerity which I know Niguel appreciates.

Now if Niguel Turner had asked me what I was doing before I got married, then I would have really been pissed(this last sentence is half truth and half joke Bob!).
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Bob....Niguel Turner gets $1500.00 for a 30x40, do you think he questions the worth of the print later with a straight face? You damn right I think it's funny and probably so does he.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Bob...Niguel Turner gets $1500.00 for a 30x40, do you think he questions the worth of the print later with a straight face? You damn right I think it's funny and probably so does he.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Beverly Hills, California

There was a regular contributor by the name of "Trib" a while back. He's the last guy who really knew how to pull off humour in this medium.

Matthews' original question is a valid one. Somewhere in the LF manufacture and supply chain there has to be someone laughing all the way to the bank.

Really - take a hard look at an Arca Swiss or Toyo monorail and ask yourself if the materials and manufacturing justify the cost. Basic alloys, simple casting, and one hundred year old technology.

Better yet, how about those accessories ??

Thank God for Robert White and Mr Cad and a world market, which is going to drive prices down along with the dealers themselves who sell new/near new equipment on e-bay.

Michael makes the best point, whatever your budget, you'll find equipment for that amount of money. B&H has always treated me in a decent manner, Robert White treats me like a valued human being and will spare no effort to make me happy and charges less.

I don't have all the goodies and toys I'd like to have, but I'm fortunate to have bottom line what I need to do what I'd like to do. I do think the prices here for camera gear are downright stubborness considering the onslaught of digital. The dealers even undercut their own prices on e-bay!

One thing about 35mm/MF/LF gear, what other goods being produced today are capable of lasting a lifetime? Not much.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Hi guys!, I'm writing a little bit late, but anyway... I have a Sinar F+ and it was US$600, yaw free, sturdy, cheap, with lenses and accesories, I would spend US$1500, is too expensive?

By the way, I live in Chile, SouthAmerica... (yes we do large format here)

Buy a Honda Prelude... is worth the money!!!

Bye

My point in the earlier post was that every price is market driven. The claim that the cost of materials going into a large format camera does not justify the cost is as ludicrous as my tongue in cheek assertion that a print could not be worth $300 based on the cost of the paper and chemicals. If an Arca-Swiss did not sell for $3000 they would lower the price to increase sales volume. If lowering the price increased sales volume significantly enough that the investment made in engineering, manufacturing, etc. was still paying off at a reasonable rate they would do so. Complaining that it costs too much is sort of ridiculous, don't buy it then.