Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price: Toyo or Toyota

Price: Toyo or Toyota

A couple of points that have been posted here.

The first is to Kevin with regards Robert White. Robert White does sell Toyo's to people in the US, and they haven't had then confiscated, at least the folks that I know who have purchased them. Who would have the legal right to confiscate the camera anyway?

My second point is to Geoffrey. I personally feel that photography fits into the 'visual art' side of things. All things arty are only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay. I sell 30x40 prints for up to $1,500. Are they worth that much...? They are to the folks that have bought them but thats a personal decision on their part.

Matthew: People equate price with value, plain and simple, and it seems even more so with cameras and lenses. Plus the fact that LF gear is a limited market item seems to keep prices up. If the profit margin is so great, why have so many companies making gone out of business? There are few companies still around making LF gear that were popular when I got into photography. There was a time when any photographer worth his salt wanted a Speed Graphic. Where is Graflex now? How about B&J, Watson, Kodak's LF product line, Deardorf, Agfa, Ansco cameras, etc. All gone. Incidentally, in the 1940's a fully equipped Speed Graphic was $200 or more. That at a time when a dozen 8x10 prints of the same subject from even well known commercial photographers could be had for $10-15. We used to get $7 for a finished 8x10 portrait. I remember the first portrait order we got that went over $180, and we were dancing in the streets. The point is, it took a lot of the photographer's income to buy that Speed Graphic. Even Ol' Ansel was selling prints for $25 back then. So really, things haven't gone up as much as it might seem.

Regards,

"Mamiya America Corporation has an effective monopoly in North America and can charge what it pleases. Robert White sells for less but, he can't sell Toyo to North America as it will be confiscated."

What baloney!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"Fortunes are blown on fast women and slow horses, drugs, clothes, jewelry, so in the scheme of things, a camera isn't such a bad deal."

Nigel, I think Jonathan was referring to me.

Niguel Turner....There you go again putting words into peoples mouths. My reference to fast women and slow horses and drugs and so forth was to anybody who does it and no one in particular, and the last part of my aside was a veiled compliment to anybody who want to shell out the bucks for a camera in contrast, and I beleive that is evident to anyone who has the ability to do more than half-ass read a thread.

You are the one trying to connect it with me and to the other folks on this forum. Incidently, I've got a good wife, don't do drugs, but I do have cameras, which would show anybody but the likes of you where I'm at.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Jonathan, I didn't put words into anyone's mouth, it was your reference. I was being lighthearted with you. It seems it went over your head. Shame.

I made no references to myself, or to the forum in my remark, that was your veiled suggestion, in the form of a question. Coming from you, I doubt it was a joke, but if it was, ha,ha,ha.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

'I sell 30x40 prints for up to $1,500. Are they worth that much...?', NOW THATS FUNNY!
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Next time you go to your local camera store Jonathan see if they will sell you a bag of humor. You need it big time. Talk about sour grapes.

Beverly Hills, California

Nigel, I second the need for a fast woman!