Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Lensboards From China

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Sinar Lensboards From China

Can someone tell me if those Sinar lens boards that are sold by a couple of sellers on *Bay are authentic? (I'm not naive just circumspect ) One is in Hong Kong and the other sends from Shanghai. If you look at them they are indistinguishable from those made in Switzerland (I said look not measure!) and I'm wondering: if it floats like a duck and tastes like a duck, is it really a duck or just a pigeon configured as a perfect forgery? Anyone know for sure whether these lens boards really are ducks (perhaps by measuring them?)? Is anyone else troubled by the competing considerations of value vs. ethics (possibly)?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Sinar Lensboards From China

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Can someone tell me if those Sinar lens boards that are sold by a couple of sellers on *Bay are authentic? (I'm not naive just circumspect ) One is in Hong Kong and the other sends from Shanghai. If you look at them they are indistinguishable from those made in Switzerland (I said look not measure!) and I'm wondering: if it floats like a duck and tastes like a duck, is it really a duck or just a pigeon configured as a perfect forgery? Anyone know for sure whether these lens boards really are ducks (perhaps by measuring them?)? Is anyone else troubled by the competing considerations of value vs. ethics (possibly)?
    I bought a Sinar to Technika adapter from user jinfinance in Shanghai and it is top notch. I am comparing this to all my current model Arca equipment...Evan Clarke

Since I in Swiss not anymore can buy directly from Sinar as in the past and the prices where also gone about 15% higher, because the reseller wants also see some money, I buyed all my last 3 Boards from VirtualVillage. They look quite similar to an original Sinar board, but sometimes in the beginning they a bit hard to push on the front, but I can not see a difference to a sinar one.

Armin

Fit perfectly, do not have the "sinar" logo sticking out, slightly thicker and much harder to drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    Fit perfectly, do not have the "sinar" logo sticking out, slightly thicker and much harder to drill.
    The ones I'm talking about fit perfectly, HAVE the Sinar logo sticking out (and the made in Switzerland imprint and the red dot)...I don't know if they're thicker or harder to drill...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Given the wide availability and big price drop for used Sinar equipment, I try to get the real thing whenever possible.

Here's what the rear of a real Sinar board looks like.

Note the red dimple at the bottom, allowing room for the pin of a Sinar Shutter.

Also note the other features.

Richard, my one experience was opposite to that of Evan's. I bought a Linhof Tech style board made in China for about 10 dollars and had to spend another 10 dollars for a rubber mallet to make it fit.
    I know in a split second with my eyes shut, which board is the made in china lensboard when I am trying to mount it.

I currently use 2 copal 3 lensboards from virtual village. They look exactly like the one ken lee posted above, to the last notch and indistinguishable from the original! The first one (2008) I had to sand slightly to make the lens fit, the second one ordered last year did fit instantly. Never had any probs after mounting.
    Thomas Birke
    blog -> http://thomasbirke.com
    portfolio -> http://www.birke.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Given the wide availability and big price drop for used Sinar equipment, I try to get the real thing whenever possible.

Here's what the rear of a real Sinar board looks like.

Note the red dimple at the bottom, allowing room for the pin of a Sinar Shutter.

Also note the other features.

And here's a $29.95 NEW board I got from Shanghai...) I haven't put in red arrows but imagine them pointing to the same spots)

Was the lower real thing price lower than $30? The boards seem slightly similar to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Richard, my one experience was opposite to that of Evan's. I bought a Linhof Tech style board made in China for about 10 dollars and had to spend another 10 dollars for a rubber mallet to make it fit.
    I know in a split second with my eyes shut, which board is the made in china lensboard when I am trying to mount it.
    I think that they used to be slightly thicker but that may no longer be the case!
    Any comments from anybody re the competing considerations of value vs. ethics (possibly)? Or, is it at all possible that that is a real Swiss made board?!?

In all probability they are China made boards. There have been Chinese (and before that, Japanese) boards, without logo, for a long time - sinar either did not patent its board mount, or licensed it for free, in any case, many other makers have made and used compatible boards for decades, undisputed.

A sinar logo on a Chinese board would be a trade mark violation, and make it a pirated product - sinar could have the customs authorities seize and destroy them. But on the other hand, sinar (and Linhof, who had a similar "board free for all" policy) owe a lot of their market dominance to pushing their lens boards to standard rank, and would be ill advised if they sue makers that step over the border between compatible product and imitation, unless they start competing at distribution level...

Sevo