Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from South/West Australia

retrogrouchy

Greetings from South/West Australia

Hi all, long time occasional lurker here, joining up to pump you all for information

I've been shooting DSLRs for a few years (I'm polyglot on dyxum.com) and an RZ67 for about a year now (yep, polyglot on APUG too), doing my own B&W processing and analogue printing. Got started on FB recently and will be giving a little show of MF images from my travels through Cambodia soon. Check out the link in my signature for some examples of what I get up to.

I'm joining up here because I want a more flexible camera for my landscape work, specifically movements. And wider angle than I can get from the RZ67.

I realise that all y'all are no doubt sick of "which camera do I buy" threads so to head that one off, can you refer me to a comprehensive summary of LF cameras that are readily available and that compares their features? I know vaguely what I want, just not what brands/models will give me that.

thanks,

Re: Greetings from South/West Australia

Welcome!

What format size and type (studio/rail or folding field camera) are you looking for? It would help to know so one can narrow down the search for info.

I have found that the view camera's movements allows me greater creative control of the image. With 120 color film, I found using a roll back on a 4x5 camera a good combo -- usually 6x7. Haven't used it much since I moved up to 8x10.

Vaughn

retrogrouchy

I think I'm looking for a field camera (well, something that can live in a backpack without fear of damage) of 4x5", maybe 5x7" if the price is right and I can get a reducing back. I want a 612 and maybe 617 rollfilm back for affordability and I-can-process-that reasons. As for movements: front rise, a little fall, front tilt and swing. I probably don't need back movements. Oh, and a modern lens of about 60mm to cover at least 617 and 4x5. Probably a ~120mm and ~200mm eventually.

The Chinese 612 back will likely be fine and my wanting to use mostly wideangles means their crazy offset-film-plane 617-on-4x5 contraption would be OK unless it limits tilt/rise by vignetting. A real 617 back on 5x7 would be preferable though. Will need a new scanner if I get to 617 though, not to mention a 4x5 enlarger, though I have access to a friend's.

View camera, no RF.

Edit: given the big aspect ratios I'm looking at, I want to be sure I can shoot both landscape and portrait and have rise in both orientations. I dunno if LF cameras have rotating backs or whether I'm meant to mount one on its ear and substitute shift for rise.

And a pony. I always wanted a pony.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

This is totally irrelevant to your post but do you live in Perth or Adelaide? I spent 4 months in Adelaide back in '87 (but visited Perth); totally loved it! Anyway, welcome!!
    BTW is the Coffee Pot still in Rundle Mall (best coffee ever!)?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Most field cameras have a back that allows you to change from landscape to portrait with ease -- keeping the orientation of the rest of the camera the same. Usually the back is square and one just takes it off and rotates it 90 degrees and puts it back on the camera body. I do have a very light (1 kilo) 4x5 that does not have a moveable back -- and it a bit of a hassle dealing with rise/fall becoming shift and all that when I photograph with the camera on its side.

Back tilt is a handy thing to have. For landscape, back rise/fall and back shift are easy to live without...and the cameras are lighter and generally tighter without them.

Going wide means that you probably will not need more than 12" (305mm) of bellows. If the camera has significantly longer bellow than that, the use of short lenses will be more difficult as one gets all that bellows scrunched up. The other option is a camera with removable bellows and the use of a bag bellows for wide lenses.

Vaughn

A lot of fun images on your site!

retrogrouchy

Richard: I'm an Adelaide boy (lived there 25-odd years) but am in Perth right now. Adelaide next week, Perth a bit after that and vice-versa... too complicated. Should be be back in Adelaide permanently by 2011. Can't think of a Coffee Pot (Illy and Cibo are the locally respected joints) but then I'm not a coffee person even if my other half is an addict!

Vaughn: glad you liked 'em! A rotating back would be good and yes, 300mm bellows will be plenty for me for a while, particularly if removable. Got any suggestions for (probably metal) models I should look at? Assume I don't really want to pay for a Linhof Tech IV just yet; a $300 body and maybe $600ish lens would be more my ballpark.

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Assume I don't really want to pay for a Linhof Tech IV just yet...
    Hi Polyglot. Welcome to the madhouse from an Australian-domiciled Linhof Tech IV-user (but Eastern seaboard).

Given your stated preference for a lens about 60mm, I think you'd be right to steer clear of a Tech IV. I find using a 90mm on my Tech IV is bad enough - shudder to think about usability of a 60mm - or if its even possible: I suspect you would need the special (= expensive) WA focussing device. Of course, my comments only apply to a Tech IV. I understand the Tech V, Master or even newer models get progressively easier to use with an ultra-wide due to continuing refinement of the basic Technika design (ratchet front rise; flap on top; extra drop bed positions etc).

All that being said, dont be put off a Technika by the price. Its a lifetime investment, and provided you aren't on your deathbed the annual amortisation cost will be negligible (least that's what I've always told my Mrs.).

Cheers

retrogrouchy

I just did some looking around and suspect a Toyo Field 45 (which is this, right? though maybe not -II) would probably suit me. A Linhof may well be in my future but not just yet - I want to get a fairly cheap camera, some good optics and see how well LF suits me.

Perhaps a 65/4 Nikkor-SW or 65/4.5 Grandagon-N. I'll need a recessed lens board for those, right? Will that make the lens (much) more difficult to operate?

There seem to be a bunch of no-name 4x5 film holders on the market. Are they all universally compatible or something? I see no designation in most cases that they're designed for use with a particular camera.

Are there any compatibility gotchas or n00b pitfalls I'm missing here? I can put one of those $200 DaYi 6x12 Graflok rollfilm backs on there, right?

You might talk to some of your mates there in Oz -- how do metal cameras do in the heat -- any better of worse than wood ones, for example?

Something along the lines of a Gowland 4x5 with the optional bag bellows would be nice (I have the Gowland 4x5 PocketView -- with 12.5" bellows). http://www.petergowland.com/camera/

All modern holders are compatible with all modern cameras.

Of course the perfect camera can be found right here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=59794

Beautiful beast! (not mine and I have no connection with the seller)

Vaughn