Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Aren't There More 4x5 Reflex Cameras?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why Aren't There More 4x5 Reflex Cameras?

Shooting 4x5 portraits I can't help but wonder what it must be like not to lose sight of the subject after the film is in place ... I've read (perhaps here) that some value this uncertainty, or just don't liking being able to continually focus.

Has anyone used 4x5 in Super D, Gowlandflex, ART-FLEX, or Arca Swiss Reflex? Any opinions on SLR vs TLR? Does the Super D's mirror function automatically, or does it need to be engaged and disengaged manually - (if so, is this still better then having no continuous focusing ability)?

Re: Why Aren't There More 4x5 Reflex Cameras?

Press a Graflex' trigger and the mirror will rise and the shutter will go, in that order. Big thud followed by mighty klunk. The mirror has to be lowered -- put back in the viewing position -- manually. There is also a provision to release the shutter manually after the mirror is up; not what you want but may be essential for the Baby Bertha I'm tinkering with. I made the Bertha to use long lenses; they punish unsteadiness, including vibration, severely.

Don't rule out a Mentor Reflex, but note that although I'm aware of them I've never seen one in the, um, flesh. After Graflexes, Mentors are probably the most common relatively modern 4x5 SLRs; look for them on eBay.de. Arca Reflexes are much less common. There are also a fair number of UK-made 4x5 SLRs, most quite ancient and much less well-supported than Graflexes or Mentors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Press a Graflex' trigger and the mirror will rise and the shutter will go, in that order. Big thud followed by mighty klunk. The mirror has to be lowered -- put back in the viewing position -- manually. There is also a provision to release the shutter manually after the mirror is up; not what you want but may be essential for the Baby Bertha I'm tinkering with. I made the Bertha to use long lenses; they punish unsteadiness, including vibration, severely.

Don't rule out a Mentor Reflex, ...

Thanks for the info, never had heard of these.

And somewhere out there is a 100-sheet 4x5 film magazine.

PS -- motor driven, also!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And somewhere out there is a 100-sheet 4x5 film magazine.

PS -- motor driven, also!
    I heard about that one too!
    can't find it anywhere-no mention of it.
    RRRGH!!!
    have you heard of the vacuum 4x5 back?
    it was rumored to be a linhof product.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    This backs for the Aero Technika 45, one with manual film-transport the other with motorized transport, are for RF 5" x 50'. But the backs can used with a Master Technika 4x5" too.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    I heard about that one too!
    can't find it anywhere-no mention of it.
    RRRGH!!!
    No rumour, it was, as was the 45 Linhof vacuum roll back for the Aero Technika and the Technika IV and later models. But while the vacuum roll back worked very well the Sheet film vacuum holders did not. The most popular of the vacuum sheet film backs were probably the Hoffman ones which were made on Long Island.

I just purchased a Graflex RB Super D 4x5 in great condition, and I'm wondering if someone could tell me what my options are for film backs. The model I purchased has an old Graflex Pack Film holder. I've been told that there is a way to adapt standard Graflok-style backs to these cameras so Lisco or Riteway 4x5 sheet film holders (and Polaroid-type holders) can be used.

I'd be interested in getting any info on someone who does this type of modification, as well as general repair service, for the Super D. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Fran

The Graflex SLR was a standard professional camera for decades. Steiglitz, Strand, Weston, Bourke-White, Lange, all used them from about 1903 onwards. But he fashion changed after say 1950; portrait shooters went to the Rollei and the Hasselblad, which could use electronic flash, and to the Mamiya RB67- which is essentially a modern roll-film Graflex. Graflex made the Super D until the 1960s; perhaps they made them too well, since there are so many still giving good service 75+ years later.

I've looked at/played with a late model Gowlandflex and a Super D.

The Gowlandflex is pretty huge, and is a very tall camera. The one I saw had a 240mm lens setup, and it didn't exactly look interchangeable. It seemed like a good camera for full-length portraits, but you'd need a stepladder close to a subject to avoid the up-the-nostrils TLR perspective problem, I think.

The Graflex is a different kettle of fish. I've never seen one in good shape, so I'm reluctant to judge the breed based on my experience. I do think one would be a lot of fun with a bag mag, tho.