Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can one scanner be good for all film sizes?

W K Longcor

Can one scanner be good for all film sizes?

Beginning with the usual disclaimer - if this has already been discussed, sorry, but ----

I have been involved with "old fashioned" film photography for many years, but the electronic stuff is all new to me. I am looking at getting something in the way of a scanner - probably used or refurb. I would like to be able to do up to 5x7 size films. I would need a flat bed unit, since I have some old glass plates I would like to scan.

I also have a HUGE collection of 35mm slides dating back to the 1950's that I would like to scan to give images to family members. I have heard some comment that a unit such as the Epson 4990 ( one of the models I have looked at) is NOT the best choice for the 35mm films, and that I should have a dedicated 35mm unit for those.

So, I am turning to those who really know -- any comments?

Re: Can one scanner be good for all film sizes?

The Epson 700 and 750 are very good scanners that can handle different sizes of film. You might consider buying a new scanner that comes bundled with SilverFast AI. SilverFast is great software for scanning film or prints but the usual versions included with scanners is not so good and the Epson s/w is a waste of time.

With that scanner and s/w you should be able to produce some good quality scans.

I disagree with the disparagement of the epson software. But opinions differ.

There are scanning services which might be more appropriate for a "HUGE" collection of slides. Scanning is time consuming and if it is just snapshots, you may want to hand this off to someone else. As I understand it, places like scancafe will scan for about $0.30 a slide - but they do a first pass and let you select which ones you want. It can take about 5 minutes a scan to clean the film, scan, adjust and save then put the slide away. So that is about 12 slides an hour. If you have 5000 slides that could take you a month full-time sitting in front of the computer.

I quite like my Epson V700, but its ability with 35mm is limited; you'll get ok 5x7's, maybe an 8x10, but no further IMO. The V700 tends to work well for larger sized negatives (up to a certain print size, of course, but pretty big).

Scanning is quite a bit of work, as pointed out. If I had a large back-catalog of 35mm to do, I'd farm it out. If you do use scancafe, it isn't that hard to come up with a coupon code for a discount off your first order.

When I was in the market for a 4x5 scanner, I also had a need to scan 35mm film (color transparency slides and strips). My purposes were slightly different than yours – I didn’t have a “HUGE” collection of 35mm slides to scan for family & friends. Rather, my 4x5 scanner would be for an occasional 35mm scan. Nonetheless, I thought my comparisons below might be helpful for you…

Before my purchase, I was able to rent a few scanners for some rigorous, un-scientific testing.

I rented the Epson 4990/v700/v750 and Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED.

(It was important for the test film to be properly exposed w/ excellent focus and fine detail. Otherwise, I noticed the scanning differences wouldn’t be as apparent. Besides, I didn’t have one of those fancy resolution charts. Also critical was the proper scanning height for each Epson scanner. The film was carefully dry mounted w/ “better scanning” holders, and Epson Scan or Nikon Scan was the software.)

Executive Summary: For 35mm transparencies, the Coolscan was the clear winner. No close-examined crops were needed to see the superiority. But I might add that if you weren’t being too critical, the 700/750 gave the Coolscan a run for its money – that is, up to their maximum “effective” resolution. Yes, they handled the 35mm film w/ pleasing-enough results w/ a careful scanning procedure to take advantage of their full abilities. Certainly fine-enough results for, say, a 5x7, or even an 8x10 print. And, the 700/750 seemed to enjoy the same level of improvement over the 4990, as the Coolscan enjoyed over them.

(For 4x5 film, the 4990 was, for my purposes, indistinguishable from the 700/750 – though the older 4990 rendered the image, esp. the colors, w/ an intangible, subtle quality that I liked better and seemed more “true” to the film. However, the newer models showed an ability to scan at a slightly higher resolution, which might become important for 11x14 or larger prints.)

The IQ3 smart scanner does 5000DPI over the entire bed, has wet mount capability and can scan 40 35mm slides at once.

The answer to your original question, as indicated by Felix, is yes but you have to spend enough money. There's no perfect $750 solution but that Epson scanner is a perfectly good. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    I have been involved with "old fashioned" film photography for many years, but the electronic stuff is all new to me. I am looking at getting something in the way of a scanner - probably used or refurb. I would like to be able to do up to 5x7 size films. I would need a flat bed unit, since I have some old glass plates I would like to scan.

I also have a HUGE collection of 35mm slides dating back to the 1950's that I would like to scan to give images to family members. I have heard some comment that a unit such as the Epson 4990 ( one of the models I have looked at) is NOT the best choice for the 35mm films, and that I should have a dedicated 35mm unit for those.

So, I am turning to those who really know -- any comments?
    This is predictable. I like good, actually great, scans. As far as I am concerned, the scanner is part of the camera, and I have invested in the best lenses, so why should I subject my film to a mediocre scanner like the 750. I would get a used drum scanner. If you have a few glass plates, then borrow or rent a flatbed from someone and get them done. It is unlikely you will do anything like this going forward.

Consumer flatbed scanners like the Epson are just that. Consumer grade. Not professional grade. They are useable. I wouldn't use them for any piece of film smaller than 4x5.

Just my 2 cents.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by W K Longcor View Post
    I also have a HUGE collection of 35mm slides dating back to the 1950's that I would like to scan to give images to family members.
    Considering your comment, an alternative to scanning that huge collection of 35mm, would be to project and take digital images of them. If the intent is for albums of small prints or web display, dvd's, etc., then you might consider skipping the whole scanning idea. Obviously this isn't the best option for quality and enlargements, but considering TIME, quantity and the output, it's a pretty good alternative.

I had the same situation and captured nearly 1500 slides from the 50's thru the 70's. It still took a looooonnnnng time to weed through, organize and then process the ones I wanted, but in the end I made a 4-CD set with music and captions to send out to family members and it was a great hit.

Have fun,
    Lon

ps. We all have opinions and experience scanning 35mm, but I'm sure could probably agree that scanning 35mm on a flatbed would be grossly time consuming - even if you used low resolution settings and skipped things like ICE....

W K Longcor

Many thanks to all. Much good information to consider. At this point in my life, the used or refurb. units were looked at because of price. I look at the job of scanning as a labor of love - so having someone else do the work would spoil that. The IQ3 smart scanner that Felix mentioned sounded interesting, but when I looked it up I stopped breathing for a full two minutes when I saw the price! I guess I will check out a dedicated unit for the 35mm at this time. If a "deal" on something larger comes along -- then I'll work on those larger format photos. Again, thank to all.