Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens cap solution

Lens cap solution

Jay,

In the original thread on this topic (referenced in my earlier post), I wrote:

"They are carried in indiviual, soft-sided padded cells or wraps, and then place d in a set of padded dividers in my pack."

So, I do take precautions beyond the lens caps to protect my lenses (and certain ly recommend others do the same). Even so, if the lens cap is thin enough and o f poor design, it can still contact the glass surfaces of the lens when carried in this manner in a pack.

It's great that you (and others) have not experienced this problem. It only tak es once to ruin your day. I responded to this thread to offer solutions to othe rs who have had, or are worried about, this so-called non-problem. Sure, I'd li ke to see better "free" lens caps included when I buy a $1000 lens, but until th ey are I will take additional measures (replacing cheap flimsy caps) and was jus t offering a few alternatives that have worked well for me.

This free advice comes with a "limited liftime warranty". It will always be wor th at least as much as you paid for it. If not, I will refund your puchase pric e in full, or repair or replace this advice at my discretion.

Kerry

Lens cap solution

Has no-one else prowled around the grocery store, lens in hand and gone the youghurt pot top/Pringles chip tube lid route - has worked for me on many occasions...

A pringles lid fits my Baush & lomb 11 13/16" 4.5 lens perfectly, front and back (as well as a spare for my Nikon 85mm 1.8 35mm lens with the hood on!)

Tim A
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Lens cap solution

It's not always been that silly. In the "good old days", Rodenstock/Klimsch already made the perfect lens cap. In lack of a digital camera, I put it on my scanner to give you an impression of the former quality attitude:

It was made of strong leather and upholstered with velvet. The logo was embossed into the leather. Regards,

Lens cap solution

Ooooooo! I like it! I'm drooling!

That gets me thinking....

Maybe I'll take a Pringles plastic cap, paint it black and line it with some nice velvet (blue, purple, red or green)

Lens cap solution

The old caps on my Kodak 10" Wide-Field Ektar are metal slip-on caps with flocking inside--very durable.

The original metal screw-in caps I have on the Nikkor lenses for my classic Bronica are also excellent.

The threaded lens cap made for the very exposed front element of my Canon FD 7.5mm/f:5.6 circular fisheye--probably the finest lenscap I own. Sturdy metal, knurled outside, with a raised center, and a rubber ring around the inside rim.

Given that it doesn't have to be a precision-machined thing, is it too much to ask for a metal lens cap for a high-end lens?

Lens cap solution

Velvet Elvis caps!! You might be onto something, Dan!

-- Matt

P.S. -- I wonder how difficult it would be to add the word "Rodenstock" in sequins?

Senior for sure

Lens cap solution

Maybe the 10 cent solution is to cut and fit a small piece of fleece or velvet (or other lens friendly cloth) to snugly fit inside the front and rear lens rings so that the caps don't touch the lens surfaces directly.