Thread: a craigslist 4990

a craigslist 4990

I have owned the Epson 3200 now for a week, and have been learning its' use. Yesterday on craigslist, I noticed a 4990 for sale. Having read the positive opinions here on the forum, I decided to buy it this morning. The woman had upgraded to the V750. It appears very clean, and once I found the lock/unlock mechanism, it seems to work well. The cost was $108. I have never posted a photo on a site, and hope you folks don't mind my trying. Here goes...........

Re: a craigslist 4990

That sounds like a great price. Did it include all the negative holders and the rest of the gear that comes with the scanner. If so, that is a great price for a very nice scanner.

I have had mine for about two weeks and really like it for my purposes (web) and archiving.

Good luck and keep us posted with some new images.

Cheers,
    Robert

Yes, it did include four holders, and also a fifth for an 8x10 negative it would appear. I can tell I will be putting some time in learning to use it to its' full capabilities. That whimsical little statue was a scan of a print I made in my darkroom last week using Ilford 100. I am impressed by the clarity of image it sees in some of the MF Velvia I've scanned. I tend to like to underexpose Velvia, and therefore get greater color saturation. It seems to be able to get right into the darker areas and pick up detail. I don't saturate the color with effects, It's brilliant and deep as scanned. My first love however, is black and white. I really like Jon Shiu's images.

Find Ken Lee's Epson Scan+4990 tutorial at his web site. It made all the difference in my scanning.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vigurs View Post
    Yes, it did include four holders, and also a fifth for an 8x10 negative it would appear. I can tell I will be putting some time in learning to use it to its' full capabilities. That whimsical little statue was a scan of a print I made in my darkroom last week using Ilford 100. I am impressed by the clarity of image it sees in some of the MF Velvia I've scanned. I tend to like to underexpose Velvia, and therefore get greater color saturation. It seems to be able to get right into the darker areas and pick up detail. I don't saturate the color with effects, It's brilliant and deep as scanned. My first love however, is black and white. I really like Jon Shiu's images.
    If the 8x10 "holder" you mention is the thing that comes with the 4990 when bought new, it actually isn't a holder, it's a guide for placing the film on the glass. I found that it was more trouble than it was worth - not that it was a lot of trouble to use but it's easy enough to see where the film should be placed without using the guide.

I never had much luck scanning 6x7 b&w film with the 4990 with prints larger than about 8x10. But for 4x5 and 8x10 it's a great scanner.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

You must be a lot more picky than I am. I sold a 16x20 frmo a 6x7 scan. It looked good enough to me to offer it for sale. The buyer certainly liked it. It's all relative.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei