Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens caps and front element protection what's the best ? - was Schneider 58XL vs. Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 55?

Lens caps and front element protection what's the best ? - was Schneider 58XL vs. Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 55?

Nikon lens caps for large format are JUNK. Many times in use in hot weather they will loosen and just about fall off the lens. I have replaced some with Steve Grimes excellent custom caps. For my 90mm and 75mm lenses I wanted caps that will leave some room between it and the strongly convex front elements. I bought step up rings 67 to 72mm and metal caps for these (72mm). Auto store threadlocker combined the caps and rings into a nice screw-in cap that really protects the front element and easily screws on and off. BTW, my 75mm Nikkor front element coating has abrasions in the center from the Nikon cap, hence my upgrading.

Lens caps and front element protection what's the best ? - was Schneider 58XL vs. Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 55?

Well I have the Nikkor 90/8 and the lens cap is just fine. In fact, it's much stiffer than even the Fuji cap, the only drawback is that it's very shallow when compared to the Fuji. It works great on the Nikkor lens because the front element is nowhere near as close to the front edge of the lens barrel when compared to the Schneider 110XL In comparing the caps for the Schneider, Fuji, and Nikon, for lenses with 67mm filter threads, the Fuji comes out on top due to the depth of the cap. The Schneider is very slightly dished, which gives it added clearance on the 110XL. But the Fuji can easily have some dabs of hot glue added to the inside edge of the cap, giving it a new bearing surface on the front edge of the lens, and a much better separation from the front element. Now to talk Jeff into ordering a cap... Shame that there doesn't appear to be a 95mm Fuji available.