Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended enlarging lens for 8x10 Durst

Re: Recommended enlarging lens for 8x10 Durst

But, to answer your question, I have not tested the two lenses (G and non-G) side by side. I do know that for 1:1 reproduction, my process lens has much better flatness of field than the non-G 300mm. It is pretty obvious that the edges of the 1:1 image with the non-G 300mm lens focus on a different plane than the center and this improves as the magnification increases.

I got a 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon with a lovely blue coating for $35 that works well on my Elwood. Photo Graphic Sytems had a mess of them---maybe they still have a few left?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I got a 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon with a lovely blue coating for $35 that works well on my Elwood. Photo Graphic Sytems had a mess of them---maybe they still have a few left?
    Based on my experience with my 305mm Eskofot Ultragon, that should be a fantastic lens for the range of 1:1 up to 1:2 (8x10 to 16x20). And likely better than a 'true' enlarging lens for that low magnification range.

Mike

ic-racer,

That make sence, I was not thinking about that.
    Or maybe it has been told but I could not remember that.
    At the moment I am printing with a componon 300mm.
    The Rodagon-G 360mm is now in front of my camera, recomended by Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mhulsman View Post
    ic-racer,

That make sence, I was not thinking about that.
    Or maybe it has been told but I could not remember that.
    At the moment I am printing with a componon 300mm.
    The Rodagon-G 360mm is now in front of my camera, recomended by Gary.
    Exactly!

Enlarging is just like LF photography if you think of the paper as the subject! Makro taking lenses are like 'standard' enlarging lenses and 'high mag' enlarging lenses are like 'standard' taking lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by cory stickley View Post
    Hey Jon! Congratulations!

We are at about the same stage of development with our Dursts.
    Mine(a very ancient beast) got moved into a new darkroom recently, but I wasn't ready to use it. Last fall several of the very knowledgeable people on this forum, guided me through the process of figuring out if I should enlarge horizontally or vertically, and then what lens I needed.
    The 360mm I had just was not going to work for what I wanted. Even though I had the headroom, I didn't really want to work on my hands and knees
    In the end, I bought a 240 mm Rodenstock, then a Vapla lens board and flange to mount it. Just last Friday, I made my first 11x14 enlargements from my 8 x 10 negs.
    I am thrilled with the results.
    Using that lens for vertical projection suits my needs. In the future, I may look for a 300 lens but for now, I am very happy with this set up.
    Have fun with the Durst. Would love to hear how you like the 300mm lens.
    Thanks Corky. The Durst is installed and I hope to have the wet side setup by next week. I just received my first shipment of darkroom supplies....Photographer's Formulary. The paper I ordered from Freestyle should be here by the end of the week.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Jon?

Does your enlarger comes with a big grey box, you have to hang it on the wall? Also it has somewhat cumbersome, heavy remote which operates enlarger. If you have something like that, we have same type of enlarger .
    Peter, it has been a while, but I have a Fotar Enlarge with a Durst CLS 2000 color head.

Jon

I would use a different enlarger for smaller formats if I had one. Just powering up that light source for a 6x7 negative seems like overkill. If your darkroom is relative small you will get some heat buildup from the lamp. However, if you get into masking the larger enlarger might be useful say for using 5 x5 masks with 4x5 film.

Besides the above described lens I have to use, I do have a 210mm (9 inch Verito) in a studio shutter and recently acquired the Wollensak diffusing slots from another LF Forum member which I plan to clean up and try to use with this 8x10 beast. It should fit on my Fotar lens board which is absent a lens. The person I purchased this solid unit from kept his 240mm lens which he used for his 5x7 negs. However, I may need to "tap" a couple of threaded screw holes to hold the flange.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I would use a different enlarger for smaller formats if I had one. Just powering up that light source for a 6x7 negative seems like overkill. If your darkroom is relative small you will get some heat buildup from the lamp. However, if you get into masking the larger enlarger might be useful say for using 5 x5 masks with 4x5 film.
    I don't think the heat buildup would be factor for my darkroom is a good size (including the 10 foot vertical rise built in for the Fotar. However, that is a good point and I also have Saunders LPL 4x5 enlarger across the room set up which I can use for the small negs. without masking the film holder.

It is all a large learning curve for me, but I plan to take it to task. Any assistance is truly appreciated. In fact, if any forum members are going to be in my neighborhood, let me know and we can have a darkroom party.....anyone have a killer 8x10 negative you would love to print? I have the setup for it....even if it is as organized as I would like it.

Jon (Boise, ID)