Thread: Repair my Microtek M1?

Repair my Microtek M1?

I have a Microtek Artix Scan M1 which has stopped responding to the computer. I have only used it lightly in the 2 years I have had it, partly because I was never all that impressed by it... particularly the film holders which refuse to actually hold film flat. It has always been a very slow to respond noisy scanner... as if it were a product of the Former Soviet Union.

To have it repaired involves shipping it to Microtek (probably $50), paying a $50 diagnostic fee, and then paying repair charges of at least $250... plus return shipping... so probably $350 in total.

Has anyone had a good experience with this scanner, or should I just start again?

Octogenarian

Re: Repair my Microtek M1?

Hi Ashton,

I was among the first to own an M1 when Microtek finally released them for sale in the USA. The new unit made approx. 30 scans before it died.

It took several weeks and many Emails until I was finally able to convince Microtek that it wasn't due to operator error. The scanner was defective. They eventually replaced it under warranty. It cost me $60 to send the defective unit back to them.

The second M1 worked okay, but I was unable to get the film holders to hold the film flat. There was a definite drop off of sharpness, even when wet mounting the negatives on the glass in the drawer.

I eventually traded the second Microtek M1 for an Epson 4990 and switched to Vue Scan software. So far, so good.

My advice, start again.

Re: Repair my Microtek M1?

I'm having better luck with my M1 but, if it died, I'd get an Epson 700 or 750 to replace it. It works fine, but is loud and slow and heavy and I have my doubts about getting it serviced.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/