Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Work On My Website

Starting Work On My Website

Jonathan,

Progressive JPEGs allow the viewer to see an image appear gradually as it is downloaded instead of a blank space, until an "ordinary" JPEG fully downloads and then appears. My preference would be for a progressive JPEG in maybe two or three progessions, but I don't believe there would be any speed advantage to either the pro-JPEG or the JPEG.

Perhaps more important is to optimise your image and get your file size as small as possible. I have found Fireworks to do a very good job, but the Photoshop "save for the web" command is not too bad either. This way, the download times are reduced considerably.

Kind regards

Peter Brown

I also do not worry about stolen jpegs, I even do not add copyright notice since it is very easy to remove it with cropping. However I am awared of stealing. I know some newspapers which permanently print jpegs downloaded from internet without permission. You cannot avoid it just like musicians cannot stop copying and unauthorizied broadcasting their music. I simply do not care much even if I notice some of my photos in a newspaper, published without asking. There is usually so little money involved that I rather live happy and with as little worry as possible than have a stress for little things. I hope you got the point. Best regards! Janez Pelko www.janez-pelko.com

I wonder if you know that there are several programs out there that will copy flash files, streaming video, realaudio.

<html>
    I'm a fan of Johnny Winter and someone made a website that drives me batty trying to figure out how to print or save some of the images. There's on of some guitar music that I wanted to learn. I had to save the whole website and then sit in front of the puter to read it. Here's a link to one of the sites pages with a scan from an old magazine. It seems to be made up of 50 - 70 "slips" that are pasted together in a table. Even looking at the code for the page doesn't help me figure out how to print it (each "slip" wants to print on it's own page). I gave up on that one. I had an easier time pasting together 500 acres of my hometown from terraserver, at least they were the same size and shape. I've heard of programs that scramble your webpage code somehow to make it more upsetting to those trying to swipe from you. Disabling right clicking is useless if you know where your temporary internet files are. Some sites seem to be able to keep me from viewing the source also. The photo site shuttercity seems to be able to deter people from copying but where there is a will there is usually a way. One other thing I've found is sites where you click on a thumbnail, the bar at the bottom of the screen says it's loading a .jpg but if you try to save it it's a huge .bmp file that would only look decent at that size.
    Johnny Winter</html>

In my opinion, trying to protect your images on the web is a waste of time and money (if using Digimarc). Granted, some people will steal your low-res images, but those folks wouldn't have payed you anyways. Instead concentrate on the people you are trying to reach, and improve their experience. This is very well explaned by Dan Heller at http://www.danheller.com/photo-biz.html#8