Thread: Changing black ink

Changing black ink

My epson 3800 has been giving me this "changing black ink" prompt lately.It takes at least 5 minutes do change the ink, is this normal? I don't remembering it doing this 6-12 monthes ago.It happens when I start up the printer.

Re: Changing black ink

Check to make sure that your printer paper preferences are set correctly. That could cause the switching. (My 3800 was doing the same thing and I didn't realize that I had my paper preferences set for the wrong kind of ink.) Hope this helps.

I'm new to digital printing. Is your paper preference set when you make a print.Another words your tell the printer glossy,matte,etc or is there another way to set paper preference.

It should not change inks when you turn the printer on. The 3800 should change the black ink if you make a print with a paper that requires a different ink than the one in use or if you manually select ink change from the printer controls.
    You set the paper preferences from the printer driver dialog box when you make a print, you can set default preferences or select them every time you print.
    About the time it takes, it seems normal the 5 minutes.

A useful web site about the 3800 is http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html

When it's changing ink, it's changing from matte to photo or vice versa. It may be the result of your paper preference as noted above. Make sure you always use one or the other, and the ink you use matches the paper preference, unless you specifically need to change.

Just be aware - changing from one to the other uses quite a bit of ink - the printer is flushing one black ink type from it's pipeline and filling it with another. This can get expensive.