Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is using LF commercially?

Re: Who is using LF commercially?

My commercial work, and a lot of my personal work is architectural photography. No one has ever raised the topic of the "integrity of film". They do not tell me what medium I must use. As long as it fits their schedule, and meets their quality requirements, they are happy to go along with my choice - which I make according to the project.

Kumar

I shoot mostly medium format film, but if I get enough time and don't have to do the shoot over email- I'll shoot 4x5. We almost never get a preference, just a 'deadline'. So, if I have a little time, it's MF tranny- if I get no time, it's MF digital- and if I get lots of time, it's 4x5.

Large format art reproduction using a Betterlight scan back. Just received 24 maps dating back to the 16th century today to scan.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    My commercial work, and a lot of my personal work is architectural photography. No one has ever raised the topic of the "integrity of film". They do not tell me what medium I must use. As long as it fits their schedule, and meets their quality requirements, they are happy to go along with my choice - which I make according to the project.

Kumar
    Nice work on your site there Kumar.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Nice work on your site there Kumar.
    Thank you, Kirk. At the risk of sounding like a mutual admiration society, I like your work, too.

Kumar

Which is the way it should be. I have heard though that film photography is much more enthusiastically pursued in Japan and for that matter europe. So therefore, there is a stronger market supporting analog equipment. Enlargers, processors etc. What are your perceptions with this regard? It seems ironic to me primarily, since Canon and Nikon are headquartered in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Which is the way it should be. I have heard though that film photography is much more enthusiastically pursued in Japan and for that matter europe. So therefore, there is a stronger market supporting analog equipment. Enlargers, processors etc. What are your perceptions with this regard? It seems ironic to me primarily, since Canon and Nikon are headquartered in Japan.
    Craftsmanship is highly regarded in Japan, and I think in Europe as well. Therefore the process of accomplishing something is also appreciated, in addition to the accomplishment itself. That's perhaps the reason film photography still flourishes here. Very high quality processing is easy to find, as is film, and Yodobashi has a large section devoted to analog darkroom stuff. In India, from where I come, digital photography has all but eliminated film. In Mumbai, there are only a couple of labs still offering professional quality processing. On a recent visit, I found that 120 film was difficult to find.

In Japan there are lots of ironies! The latest technology co-exists with ancient ways, much like in India.

Kumar

multiplex

i am for personal and habs work ..

people who work with large format comercial
    Thomas Broening
    Frank Ockenfels
    Albert Watson
    Paolo Roversi
    Steven Meisel
    Joshua Lutz
    Dan Winters
    Kwaku alston

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I continue to use large format color transparencies as my main capture medium for my main client...that is what they prefer, and I keep an E-6 processing line going. I use on average about 100 sheets of 4x5 a month....I have to mail order all my supplies, and have for over 20 years.
    How lucky you are.....

Daniele Miinetto