Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is using LF commercially?

Re: Who is using LF commercially?

This is kind of a slippery question, because some of us get our income via the sales of our photography as art at museums and galleries in addition to regular commercial venues. I shot an annual report recently completely with a Canon 5D MKII and various L lenses. In days of old, I've shot similar subjects for the same client with 35mm and 120 Kodachrome with a Canon F1-N and a Hasselblad system, and a 4x5 studio camera with an array of lenses from 75mm for architectural stuff, to a 210mm for product shots.

The Canon 5D MKII shot all of the product shots extremely well. My client was able to see the images the evening of the shoots, where with film they'd have to wait a number of days. I'm sure this story is being told all over the world and I'm but one manifestation of this shift.

However, there are times when film is the only way to go. For an example, I recently needed some 4'x5' prints for an exhibition and they needed to be loaded with subtle detail. The 5D did not have the resolution for prints that large and out came the 4x5 camera. The negatives were scanned on a high resolution flatbed scanner.

I have an upcoming project that needs lots of detail again. I bought ten boxes of Polaroid Type 55 PN film when Polaroid went out of business and am going to use it all this summer. That film is sublime with its detail and tonal range, especially when coupled with impeccably sharp Schneider optics. The 5D can't come near to what this film can render with intricate detail in large prints.

Anyone up for popping some champagne when the last box of Type 55 is used? That's got to be worth a party.

Thanks,
    Larry

The Canon 5D MKII shot all of the product shots extremely well. My client was able to see the images the evening of the shoots, where with film they'd have to wait a number of days. I'm sure this story is being told all over the world and I'm but one manifestation of this shift.
    In my town as there are no E-6 labs left, sending the film out of town leaves an absolutely untenable wait, especially since no one wants film anymore-we need to then scan the film and tweak the files before the client gets them.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Who is using LF commercially?/ Kirk in NM

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    In my town as there are no E-6 labs left, sending the film out of town leaves an absolutely untenable wait, especially since no one wants film anymore-we need to then scan the film and tweak the files before the client gets them.
    Hello Kirk,

We have NM & UNM in common in addition to photography; I graduated from there in 1999 with an MFA in photography. You have a really excellent portfolio, thank you so much for sharing it.

I bet we know a lot of the same people, especially the NM photo scene. I feel so fortunate to have lived in NM for almost a decade back in the 90's since it has such a rich history of powerful photography. Reid Callanan is a good friend, as is Adrienne Salinger over at UNM.

Nice to have met you here,

Larry McNeil

Larry, we appear to have more than that in common. I have some ancestors that are Sac and Fox (or Sauk and Fox as my grandfather spelled it) and our photographic journeys, though very different in history and appearance, share some common questions. I loved your site and the images. Where are you located these days?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Larry, we appear to have more than that in common. I have some ancestors that are Sac and Fox (or Sauk and Fox as my grandfather spelled it) and our photographic journeys, though very different in history and appearance, share some common questions. I loved your site and the images. Where are you located these days?
    Pretty cool Kirk. I'm in Idaho and the world, wandering around a lot. I really liked your images too, they definitely remind me of special places in the southwest.

Whos using LF commerical?? Me...well sometimes, mainly for my architectural clients. I still find it hard to bet for price verus quality. I can't afford the digital equivalent to the quality of 5x4 trannie. The vaguaries of the British weather also helps, you have make sure that you allow enough time to get the building shot between the rainy and dull days, and this usually means that you have enough time to process and scan... and still meet the deadline.
    Everying else is shot on DSLR and the medium format kit that I loving built up is going on ebay any day now..long live LF
    andy
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McNeil View Post
    In days of old, I've shot similar subjects for the same client with 35mm and 120 Kodachrome with a Canon F1-N and a Hasselblad system, and a 4x5 studio camera with an array of lenses from 75mm for architectural stuff, to a 210mm for product shots.
    Out of curiosity, when was Kodachrome in 120 discontinued? I was really impressed with the WW2 images shot on 4x5 Kodachrome, and sad to learn it had been discontinued before I was born. Heck, I think it was discontinued before my father was born. Really depressing I'll never get a chance to shoot with it. Just sent off two rolls of 35mm to Dwayne's, still have two more to get through by December.

i am going to use this thanks for the information

120 Kodachrome was for a short time availabel again at around 1990-93 I used some at the time here in Switzerland!

Cheers Armin

Thank you to all who have contributed their information and insights in answering my question. I am a photography professor at the College of Southern Nevada and while 95% of our curriculum is now digital, we still list Introduction to Large Format as a required class in our Associates of Applied Science degree. Our mission is to teach the science, craft and skills of commercial photography.

Recently there has been talk of removing this class from the required list of classes. It had been suggested that virtually no one uses large format cameras commercially any more.

While the vast majority of photographers kind enough to answer my question no longer use or rarely use large format in their businesses, I found a thread that seems to say that if it is necessary for the completion of a given assignment, it is used. To paraphrase some, "...the client doesn't care how the image is made, just that it is the required quality."

My personal contention is that the class should remain on our required list because, while large format is no longer used as regularly as in the past, it is still a viable skill set and, perhaps more important, it is a tremendously effective means of teaching shooting discipline and care with regards to exposure and composition.

Once again, I thank you for responding.

Sincerely,
    Randy
    aka Photojeep