Thread: Emerson landscapes

Emerson landscapes

This touches on a couple to themes. But please visit the Musee d’Orsay before Aug 29 to look at the P. H. Emerson prints on display. One room filled with platinums lifted from Life and Landscapes of the Norfolk Broads. The other room filled with photogravures from the book Marsh Leaves. Breathtakingly beautiful prints from books. True pure platinums and heliogravures. You can debate which is more beautiful, I won’t. These works from the 1890’s simply set the standard for the physical presence of beauty, photographic and artistic intent. I am not sure that standard has been surpassed since. The room lights are low and the prints glow. They are meant to be looked at closely, nose to frame. They are precisely sharp platinums which were created in enough volume to be tipped in books. No one can do this quality or quantity today. The razor sharpness of a "Rushy Shore" remains a significant achievement even today. The rendition of still water and the relections on it are masterful throughout. The photogravures bring to mind the sensibility of Japanese drawing. A hazy fine line representing the essence of a landscape. All of this in the simplest of a black and white. After Emerson I am not sure photography did not lose its way. Certainly the art of photographic book printing did. Seeing these books shows how the possibilities spelled out in Walter Benjamin’s “Work of Art in the age of Mechanical Reproduction” were missed. The ironic title of the show “Photography not Art” is a combative, heroic quote from Emerson. Emerson was a theorist as well as a master technical photographer, and his ideas remain interesting today but what truly lives are his prints. Don’t be fooled by the web images posted by the Musee, the prints on the walls are much better. A web search will only reveal pictures of the prints of dubious accuracy. These images pale beside the physical glow of the precious prints. The beauty lies in the thing itself not in the image of the thing. The light of a computer screen completey corrupts the light reflected from his prints. The presentation is everything to Emerson. It is unbelievable he made such wonderful platinums but then he duplicated the magnificent achievement using photogravures. We lost something when he quit 120 years ago and we continue to loose with the degradation of the materials available to us. I don’t believe anyone making photographs today can rival these for the realization of self expression and showing us what a landscape filtered through the soul of a true artist can be. And to imagine he made them into books and people bought them. I suppose somewhere they are even for sale. Fine concentrates of jewel tone platinum and the fruit of carefully etched printing plates.
    Jim

Re: Emerson landscapes

The work of these early photographers is overlooked much to much, everyone knows the Adams, Westons etc but the work of someone like Emerson gets ignored. It's odd that the household names in photography all took pictures in one country.
    If this had been a post about Adams it would be pages long by now. It's some time since I've seen a Emerson print I wish I could of visited the exhibition mentioned.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Thanks for this thread.
    I had the privilege of seeing some of this work a few years ago and it is truly amazing. I think the effort to make photography available for the masses took us away from the technical skills necessary to make truly good gravures, as well as other craft oriented images from negatives. This tradition is true today as more of the masses move too quickly toward the quick and easy approach of digital photography. Thankfully there is a small percentage of photographers holding on and even reviving the more skill oriented techniques.

I haven't ignored Emerson. See here

Were you tested for Diabetes after leaving the gallery?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Claudio Santambrogio

Could anybody recommend a good book with/about Emerson's photography? With instructive texts and (mainly) good quality reproductions? I know it will never replace seeing an original, but I'd love to learn some more about his photographs (and I won't be able to travel to Paris by the end of August).

http://www.amazon.com/P-H-Emerson-Fi...0441663&sr=1-3

Excellent text by Nancy Newhall. He was actually Cuban (Peter Henry = Pedro Jose). Family was kin to Ralph Waldo Emerson. Published by Aperture. Lots of fuzzy pictures, not particularly well-reproduced, but it doesn't really matter.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

In the desert...

F 64 group, MOMA et al did what they could to subdue the influence or give merit to the "fuzzy-Wuzzies" . It will be interesting to see how history positions photographers and photographic styles 1890-1980. Impressionistic art was at one time trivialized.

You can read the man himself here:

http://www.archive.org/details/natur...phot00emerrich

Google books has other works, but the image scans are dreadful.

Emerson is too slavishly devoted to painting for my taste, and he's an outright snob when it comes to artistic breeding and sensitivity. He was, of course, of his time, but the artists I respect don't conform to establishment ideals quite so cravenly. The photos are 'nice'.