Page 76 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Abstracts

Re: Abstracts

Quote Originally Posted by billie williams View Post
    Joseph! I used to live in Joseph, Oregon. We built a house off the grid back in the 90's. Holy crap - so surprised to see you type this.
    How did you manage to head up to that beautiful yet remote part of the country?
    Love the image too!
    Hi. Thanks for the kind words. My family has started a tradition of renting a little cabin near Joseph for a week every summer. For those that haven't been, Joseph is a pleasant, quiet little town (expect during the annual Chief Joseph Days festival) located near beautiful Lake Wallowa and surrounded by high glaciated peaks that many have compared to the Swiss Alps. It is also known for it's incredibly tame animals (deer, squirrels, gophers) who will come right up to you for a visit.

Thanks again!

Oh, I've got another Joseph picture on deck that I'm working on. I believe it'll be going in the "farms" thread if there is one.

Austin, hi. Great that you are visiting Wallowa County!! As Austin types, for those of you who have not been to this little gem in the mountains, it would be a wonderful spot for LF work.
    I haven't been back for more than a decade, and am now thinking I had better get back up there with my big cameras. It's a bit of a drive to get there - but even the road in is a magnificient, winding, 2-lanes along the Wallowa river. Joseph is a friendly, art-centric town with the requisite coffee houses and cowboy bars. They are known for their bronze foundries and Main Street in Joseph features several large bronzes.

It's worth the hassle to get there. And Fall in the Wallows is perfection. Google some images!! It's crazy beautiful.

I'll keep an eye out for your farm image!!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the kind words. My family has started a tradition of renting a little cabin near Joseph for a week every summer. For those that haven't been, Joseph is a pleasant, quiet little town (expect during the annual Chief Joseph Days festival) located near beautiful Lake Wallowa and surrounded by high glaciated peaks that many have compared to the Swiss Alps. It is also known for it's incredibly tame animals (deer, squirrels, gophers) who will come right up to you for a visit.

Thanks again!

Oh, I've got another Joseph picture on deck that I'm working on. I believe it'll be going in the "farms" thread if there is one.

Rocks and tidal pool at Marshall Point Light, Port Clyde Maine 2014/09/01. 7.25" verito, speed graphic, fp4+, pyrocat hd.

img387 by philbrookjason, on Flickr

On the back porch.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic w/6x7 back, B&L Zeiss Anastigmat Series II, Efke 100.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    On the back porch.

Jonathan
    Jonathan,

That lens seems similar in the soft focus effect as a Verito. Was it designed to be that way?

I agree that it has a Verito-like effect, but no, it was not designed that way. I shoot it with the front element removed. I have two of these lenses. This small one has a focal length of around five inches which is why I use it with a reducing back since it won't cover 4x5, whereas the 8x10 version is around fourteen inches.

This is an odd and short-lived lens for Zeiss, only produced for a few years in the early 1890s until better quality Jena glass was discovered that allowed for better optical corrections. (This lens series became the Protar series shortly thereafter.) These Series II lenses aren't very sharp even stopped down with both cells in place so I have come to use them with the rear elements only at this point.

J.

David Schaller

I agree that it has a Verito-like effect, but no, it was not designed that way. I shoot it with the front element removed. I have two of these lenses. This small one has a focal length of around five inches which is why I use it with a reducing back since it won't cover 4x5, whereas the 8x10 version is around fourteen inches.

This is an odd and short-lived lens for Zeiss, only produced for a few years in the early 1890s until better quality Jena glass was discovered that allowed for better optical corrections. (This lens series became the Protar series shortly thereafter.) These Series II lenses aren't very sharp even stopped down with both cells in place so I have come to use them with the rear elements only at this point.

J.
    Well it's a killer image. I hope you print this large! I could get lost all day in there.

Thanks, David. I don't print my stuff much these days, partly because I need to build a darkroom (tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....) and partly because there isn't an inch of wall space left uncovered in the house. But boy do I yearn to get back to wet printing just for the experience of doing it.

Here's another semi-abstract from the same roll, this time shot with a B&L 4.25" Cinephor projection lens:

J.

On the back porch.

Jonathan
    ***fabulous***

Vadret Pers

Sinar F, Nikkor-Q 300m, Fuji Acros / Xtol 1:1