Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is the Pentax V Spotmeter?

How good is the Pentax V Spotmeter?

I'm looking into getting a spot meter, and came across this one, in good condition with original accessories.

I've cosidered the Sekonic 758 DR, as I have several digital SLRs, and like the idea of profiling to the camera, but now with the addition of the Toyo 45AX, I'm not sure which way to go.

Your opinions and comments have been exceedingly helpful, so I'm turning to the group once again!

Thanks!

Jay

Re: How good is the Pentax V Spotmeter?

Good enough.

You should be able to pick up the Pentax V for a lot less $$$ than the Sekonic 758 DR so it has that going for it, but definitely no bells or whistles.

Like my Soligor Spot II, the Pentax V does one thing and does it well: meters a 1 degree spot.

Thank you!

Dave Karp

I have had one for a long time, and it is a fine meter.

It is minimal, but good. I am fond of mine, although I prefer my Pentax Digital Spotmeter, which is much more compact.

Find a pentax V zone VI modified and I'll trade you a Pentax digital in like new condition. It backs up my pentax V so it see's little action.

Mike

The Pentax Spot meter is no longer made.

Do yourself a favor and get a Pocket Spotmeter. It is tiny, machined out of solid aluminum and never needs a calibration and currently produced. I have both an analog and digital Pentax and never use them after I got a Pocket Spot. Fits in the palm of my hand. Plus I had to pay $75+ for a calibration every year +/- for my Pentax meters as they do in fact drift at one or both ends of their range as a function of time. The Pocket Spot is hard wired in calibration forever and is absolutely marvelous piece of engineering that will last a lifetime.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 9-Feb-2010 at 18:06. Reason: typo

Just to let you know - Michael's experience with the digital Pentax is unusual, at least compared to my own and that of all other people I've ever heard of who used that meter. I had one for 12 or so years and never needed to have it calibrated once much less every year or so. Every time I went to a workshop I used to check it against other participants meters and we were always within a half stop of each other and usually dead on. I mention this not to urge you to buy one or to question Michael - I don't know anything about your needs or his situation - but just so that if you're otherwise inclined to buy one you aren't put off by one person's unusual experience.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Brewer

I have had mine for over 15 years (and I bought it used) and love it. The only problem I had was the nuts that hold the dial on the body fell off (they are in the body). So I have to hold it together until I send it off to have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Just to let you know - Michael's experience with the digital Pentax is unusual, at least compared to my own and that of all other people I've ever heard of who used that meter. I had one for 12 or so years and never needed to have it calibrated once much less every year or so. Every time I went to a workshop I used to check it against other participants meters and we were always within a half stop of each other and usually dead on. I mention this not to urge you to buy one or to question Michael - I don't know anything about your needs or his situation - but just so that if you're otherwise inclined to buy one you aren't put off by one person's unusual experience.
    The attachment from Alan Ross is concurrent with my experience. Fact. When you have one meter it is never out of calibration because you do not have a valid reference point to make that determination. All you need to do is get two of the same meters and calibrate them at the same time and put one in your closet and shoot with the other. Check them against each other after six months across the response scale and again at one year and you will in fact see the differences because it is not unusual. Calibration linearity is another issue to contend with. Call Quality Light Metric and speak to their technician and get a sample of the real world.

While Pentax had their corporate headquarters in Englewood, Colorado I had a long conversation with their company technical representative. He confirmed to me in oerson that all of their their spot meters are subject to calibration drift drift depending upon how they are used. From dropping the meter to micro vibrations on an airplane the adverse effects on the meter are real.

Eric, one of the engineers that produce the Pocket Spot told me that the calibration of each meter is hard wired in and can't ever drift or need a calibration.

Cheers!