Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to shoot sand dunes

Wink Re: How to shoot sand dunes

Don't dismiss shooting in windy conditions. Dunes are a product of wind and during a wind storm (30 mph+) they become a very dynamic environment with sometimes other-worldly lighting. The problem of course is keeping the equipment secured and finding a pocket of relative protection. I suggest a sand stake or two with which to tie-off your tripod center column and an assistant with a very robust umbrella. And bury those tripod feet deeply into the sand. Or - you could retreat to the mini-format.

Re: How to shoot sand dunes

The wind can be interesting, I've been at the Death Valley Sand Dunes when the wind conditions created a layer of blowing sand about 1-2 feet of the ground. You do have to watch the wind, my friend had his Ebony blow over on the same trip. Luckily he had a back up camera. When my friend got home he had to buy a good micro screwdriver set and partially dissemble the Ebony to get all the sand out of it. Luckily he was in the process of changing lenses, so no lens went in the sand.

Also if you are going to be walking very far from the car a good dusk mask and goggles might be a good idea. Or at least a bandanna and wrap around sunglasses.

Have fun, sound like a great trip.

Roger

Oblique lighting and shadows help a lot to bring out texture and detail in desert shots..

For B&W, filters can be helpful. For example, using a red filter plus polarizer to blacken the sky or using an orange filter on orange sand to lighten the sand relative to shadows.

I take a space blanket to lay on the ground, and then my pack. I can drape it over the top of the pack for some protection. If it will be windy, consider putting everything in plastic bags.

Travel light - wide, medium, tele plus lots of film. Desert is where Readiloads would be nice. Hiking in sand is tiresome also. Take water.

For some reason, humans have in innate desire to walk on pristine sand. In the US, they also have a bizarre penchant for unleashing dogs to do the same thing. So you might have to work to find spots without footprints. If you are really in the thick of it, a GPS might be helpful for finding your way out after a day of meandering.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post

For some reason, humans have in innate desire to walk on pristine sand. In the US, they also have a bizarre penchant for unleashing dogs to do the same thing. So you might have to work to find spots without footprints. If you are really in the thick of it, a GPS might be helpful for finding your way out after a day of meandering.
    Another reason for getting out early in the morning especially if it was windy that night.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    Another reason for getting out early in the morning especially if it was windy that night.

Roger
    Indeed. Once I went to Sossusvlei in the Namib Desert (a wonderful place, but unfortunately prior to my large format black and white days) and the evening winds had a salutary effect on the dunes. Somehow, when I walk on the pristine dunes everything seems as it should. When someone else walks on the dunes I am convinced that he is a dilettante imbecile who has no business there in the first place.

The mornings are often best because the afternoon winds have scoured away the previous day's footprints and whatever moisture is in the are has firmed up the morning sand. In the afternoon, the sun is hot, the sand is soft, the footprints abound, and the wind whips up. The early bird gets the worm.

Glenn Mellen

As color hasn't been touched much upon: Definitely need a polarizer and gradiant neutral density, and possibly a warming filter (81B).

For B&W orange and polarizer (depending on shooting angle) and also gradiant ND's.

As mentioned several times, most important consideration is to protect gear from sand even when the wind is not blowing... darned stuff gets into everything even in calm conditions. Keep camera bag/backpack covered at all times.

Thanks to all of you for your invaluable advice.

But this is not all, I think more gems of wisdom and practicle experience can come out

of this discussion.

Stephane all advice from you are very thoughtful and reminds me that I need to be

bothered about what I am going to shoot not just how to shoot dunes.

Pierre Kervella thanks as I have never thought that dust can get into shutter mechanism.

Brian Eills - If you want that typical b&w dunes look with deep shadow and bright highlight patterns
    meter for the shadows as usual, stop down two stops (Zone III) then meter the highlights. If dunes in
    India are like the ones in the U.S. (e.g. Death Valley, Oregon coast) you'll find surprisingly little difference
    early in the morning.

I think colour of sand in Rajasthan is not that orange as death valley. and I plan to use orange filter
    for lighting high lights. I would take a small camel safari to get deep into the desert. Might spent night
    on sand dunes as well.

Keep pouring your invaluable advice

Cheer

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    Don't dismiss shooting in windy conditions.
    I concur. I haven't really done it myself; photograph in the dunes during windy conditions, but Alan Ross has some spectacular photographs in the dunes in windy conditions, with blowing sands.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by J D Clark View Post
    I concur. I haven't really done it myself; photograph in the dunes during windy conditions, but Alan Ross has some spectacular photographs in the dunes in windy conditions, with blowing sands.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com
    I would definately shoot the dunes in windy condition but only with my 5D Mark II as

I love my LF camera and lenses too much to be exposed to such hostile condition.

Quote Originally Posted by J D Clark View Post

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com
    I would definately shoot the dunes in windy condition but only with my 5D Mark II that

too with rain protector cover for protecting it against sand and dust

as I love my LF camera and lenses too much to be exposed to such hostile condition.