Page 53 of 95 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Were there signs posted that said "No Photography"? Here in DC there was an increased sensitivity to people photographing federal facilities, and some photographers got hasseled. When it was challenged, the cops/guards who hasseled the photographers lost out for being "overly aggressive" in public spaces. The main exception was for areas officially designated as sensitive in nature, and those would have signs posted.
    The whole idea is ludicrous, I mean, it's in plain sight and anyone who actually wanted a photo could take one with a digital camera with wifi and snap, send it off before anyone could even approach them... And somehow large format photographers are the ones who get harassed...

Wonder what will happen when a guy wearing google glass glasses (with a prescription) tried to visit some monument and they are like "sorry sir, you'll have to take those off"..."but these are my prescription glasses..."

The world is insane... Can't we all just get along?.... Imagine....

There were no signs posted saying anything about photography one way or the other, and I knew I was in the right, but I was also not in the mood to be hassled further at that point.

From what I have been reading it is the use of a tripod and not a camera that freaks people out. People think someone using a tripod is extra "serious". Obviously, as Stone points out, if I were trying to document the location for nefarious purposes I would have driven by while shooting hi-def video out the window (or used Google Street View) and not stood there for twenty minutes with an old wooden 8x10 in the most conspicuous way possible.

It really pisses me off, because there are lots of other photo opportunities in that area. I may go back and stand my ground this time and wait to see what--if any--authorities actually show up.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    There were no signs posted saying anything about photography one way or the other, and I knew I was in the right, but I was also not in the mood to be hassled further at that point.

From what I have been reading it is the use of a tripod and not a camera that freaks people out. People think someone using a tripod is extra "serious". Obviously, as Stone points out, if I were trying to document the location for nefarious purposes I would have driven by while shooting hi-def video out the window (or used Google Street View) and not stood there for twenty minutes with an old wooden 8x10 in the most conspicuous way possible.

It really pisses me off, because there are lots of other photo opportunities in that area. I may go back and stand my ground this time and wait to see what--if any--authorities actually show up.

Jonathan
    If you talk nice to them, show them the ground glass, are pleasant and even "excited" at how cool this black and white FILM image will turn out, they usually relax and realize you're no one, sometimes I act like one of those people who's annoying and you can't get them to stop talking, ya know the type that get clingy and just want to tell you all about their life, or whatever, if you get really friendly and annoying they usually leave you be, more because they realize they will have to deal with you hahaha

This negative is covered in strange mottling that I haven't seen before. I wonder if the humidity built up too much in my little unventilated dark closet when loading the film causing some surface moisture damage; although this is the only sheet with this particular defect so far, thank goodness.

Jonathan

thank goodnes? I love that artifacts!! a faux collodion...
    _________
    ..well - sometimes I fail miserably...

Here I went to my favorite forrest with my beloved Gandolfi - forgetting I already had made exposures on the loaded film(s)....

So this popped up...

I think I like it!!

It is great, Emil Mother Forest
    www.christo.stankulov.com

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Fantastic 'mistake' !!!

Jonathan

Two mistakes (that I know of). For some reason I mixed the Pyrocat at 10X the strength I'd intended. I realized it as soon as I poured it into the tank. Had I been more knowledgeable at the time I'd have let it sit for "stand" development. Instead I did continuous inversions for about 5 minutes. When picking up the tank (by the lid) to start inversions, the lid came off (hence the light leak).

This is what happens when a newbie only develops film a couple of times a year. The subsequent batches (use Mod54) went fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistake SM .jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	113977

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post

Jonathan
    Jonathan,

I like Stone's advice - entertain them on the ground glass and talk them to death !

I suggest you also carry a group of small prints in your car. Showing samples of your work, landscapes, etc. will help to establish your legitimacy, prove you're a regular guy, and hopefully allay security guards' concerns.

BTW he was probably having a slow day and wanted to show his boss he was on the job !

Dennis
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

A processing screw up this afternoon. Two 8x10 sheets were stuck together inside the drum, discovered it after the fix was done. The front sheet was okay, this is the back one. You learn something new every day, especially what NOT to do.