Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

posted this in "paper negatives" also...

overexposed negative (paper) - hence the cloud like patterns..

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Here I was trying desperately to get the top of the Empire State Building in my shot. I used so much front rise that I experienced the "limited by bellows" aspect of the Wehman camera... the bottom part of the picture was blocked by about an inch of bellows. I cropped that off; originally there was supposed to be so much more foreground, but now it really made the ESB look even more enormous. So what is left is just the vignetting on the top. Be sure to check out this link above the inline picture for a large (16x20 printable) scan. You can see fantastic details of the antenna structure as well as people on the observation deck, and details like a small picture frame in one of the offices. I didn't bother to clean up the dust/marks on this scan like I usually do.

LARGE SIZE (5297 x 6000 pixels): http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/...e282bfb3_o.jpg

Great shot, lovely light! out of pure curiosity: 8x10 (wehman?) og 4x5? Imacon or V700? Nice to see a full resolution shot for once - something I really miss in here
    (I know it has its reasons in file size, but slightly downgraded 8bit jpegs are to be handled by most bandwidths - and can show all the detail)

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post

I told him it was a mistake..

That was your second mistake. Nice, interesting shot. I like it mistake or not.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Here I was trying desperately to get the top of the Empire State Building in my shot. I used so much front rise that I experienced the "limited by bellows" aspect of the Wehman camera... the bottom part of the picture was blocked by about an inch of bellows. I cropped that off; originally there was supposed to be so much more foreground, but now it really made the ESB look even more enormous. So what is left is just the vignetting on the top. Be sure to check out this link above the inline picture for a large (16x20 printable) scan. You can see fantastic details of the antenna structure as well as people on the observation deck, and details like a small picture frame in one of the offices. I didn't bother to clean up the dust/marks on this scan like I usually do.

LARGE SIZE (5297 x 6000 pixels): http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/...e282bfb3_o.jpg

a Reinhart Wolf! Bravo

how bout a leaning tower that isn't really leaning.....

Film mistakes are so much more rewarding...

ghost coffeepot

Done with a big wooden studio camera a century old, but I had taken the pneumatic shutter out for repair and forgot about the 5/16" hole in the 9X9 inch lens board where the air hose goes through. The 'pinhole' was offset about 6 inches from the lens axis. Thus the coffeepot and cups was the designed picture and the window would have never been seen. You can see the ghost of the 2 cups in the upper left.

It's a double image, one with the lens, and one with the lensless 5/16ths hole acting like a rather rude 'pinhole.

Note the black background behind the cups and urn. That allowed a pallet for the pinhole image to register on. It was supposed to look like this;

cooke 15.5" series IV

Hah, that was kinda cool ! Nice mistake

I was photographing the railroad crossing hardware, and saw two guys approaching. My Speed Graphic was mounted on a loosely set-up tripod, and I quickly focused on a small tree near them, and pressed the shutter, not taking the time to align the verticals.

Looking at the negative for the first time, I realized I had more problems than crooked verticals! The short tree was focused, but not the two men near it. I'm amused and a bit bewildered with the narrow, inwardly-curving bowl plane of focus of a wide-open 6"/f4 petzval lens on 4x5... not a good choice for quick/sloppy landscape shots.

Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif., a petzval newbie, sometimes clueless..

Big Bend

giant light leaks arggghhhhhh

My boy with a TK45, Fuji SF 250mm @ F8 with yellow disk, TMAX100 in pyro mc

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    This is my worst image ever, and although it is a repeat image, it will not be my last...

jim k
    I have one just like that, I occasionally think of framing it with the title "Adirondacks at Night"
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.