Page 61 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    I can think of 2 bad ones of my own making. The first was pulling the slide on the wrong side of the holder, and actually exposing the unopened side.

Even worse, this summer I was in the Alps for a long weekend with the family. I got up at 5 am and went out to a lake under the Zugspitze and made 4 shots on Provia 100f. One was way overexposed, as I forgot my filters in use on the previous B&W shot weren't in play and calculated the factor in. The worst loss, though, was the one shot that I really wanted to bring home, and actually got almost perfect, was lost to a "brain fart." I thought I had all the slide film removed and boxed up and that 1 shot was still in the holder when I opened it up. One good thing, perhaps, is that it obviates the need for another trip, and maybe some more Provia.
    Not to criticize, but correct perhaps your word usage, obviates means I think the opposite of your desired intent. Perhaps 'indicates' is what you meant. My apologies if I am wrong.

I would love to visit the Alps twice!
    Tin Can

Ummm... Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not to criticize, but correct perhaps your word usage, obviates means I think the opposite of your desired intent. Perhaps 'indicates' is what you meant. My apologies if I am wrong.

I would love to visit the Alps twice!
    Indeed, you are quite correct. Necessitate is the word I meant. As I am unable to edit my original post, my stupidity shall shine forever!

Thank for the correction.

As for the Alps, it was the German side. It's quite beautiful, I went out around Eibsee, a lake right under the shadow of the Zugsapitze, and was amazed at how serene it seemed. Even a few joggers, hikers, and bikers it was quite nice. There were plenty of place to shoot, and items worth the film!

It's definitely a trip to take! If you do, check out Garmisch, they're close to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    Indeed, you are quite correct. Necessitate is the word I meant. As I am unable to edit my original post, my stupidity shall shine forever!

Thank for the correction.

As for the Alps, it was the German side. It's quite beautiful, I went out around Eibsee, a lake right under the shadow of the Zugsapitze, and was amazed at how serene it seemed. Even a few joggers, hikers, and bikers it was quite nice. There were plenty of place to shoot, and items worth the film!

It's definitely a trip to take! If you do, check out Garmisch, they're close to everything.
    I in no way, think that was a stupid error. One of the things I like best about this forum is we seem to have better vocabulary than I read anywhere. 'Obviates' is a wonderful word, rarely used.

I doubt I will see the Alps in this life.
    Tin Can

Ummm... Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I in no way, think that was a stupid error. One of the things I like best about this forum is we seem to have better vocabulary than I read anywhere. 'Obviates' is a wonderful word, rarely used.

I doubt I will see the Alps in this life.
    I didn't take it that way. I was rushing myself and didn't pay attention. The reason I refer to it as stupid, is that I am a bit hard on the written communications of others. Especially those who write things like "this needs done."

I do hope that one day you will get to the Alps. It's breathtaking to see such sights. For a photographer, especially shooting LF, it can be an investment in financial terms, but also emotional and spiritual terms! There are areas where it still appears quite untouched.

Thanks!

I've had this show up on a number of my negatives where I've never seen it before. I believe it to be from the photo flo/drying step. I've never had it before this last week, that I've noticed, but here are some of my steps.

Dev and fix in 5x7 trays, 4ish or less at a time. I rinse and wash in 8x10 trays. When they are sufficiently washed, I pour out the water from the sink and pour in about 250-500mL diluted photo flo. Key points may be that I have very old stock that's in a brown glass bottle, just opened for the first time some 5-8 years ago, and I haven't been using distiller water for the photo flo. Whenever I dry, my film is clipped to a line strung in my shower, then I leave the bathroom alone overnight. I notice that when I remove the film from the photo flo bath, it has bubbles slowly running down it, and I know I dilute it properly. I don't want to squeegee the film for fear of scratches. Can this probably be re-rinsed and dried to remove the residue?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	127333
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Yes, just wash again with demineralized or distilled water.

Yea, too much photo flo

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

The bubbles drop off the drying film. Do not use a squeegee unless you have a burning need to induce scratches into the film.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    I swear it wasn't a double exposure but there IS a second tree in the sky - could this be due to a reflection or so? The sun was just left out of the frame and I'm pretty sure I blocked it with my body while holding the ND filter in front of the lens... weird stuff. Perhaps the shutter didn't close immediately...

Deardorff - Imagon 250 - Fomapan 200 (EI 50) 5x7 - Pyrocat HD
    The branches are from the same tree.

Look up narcissistic effect or narcissism as relates to optics. Light rays hit the film plane and reflect back into the optics, and at some surface is then reflected back towards the image plane at or near focus. You basically end up reimaging the image plane.

The effect can be common in thermal or night imagers where and has to be considered during the design of the lens....also shows up where you have a flat surface out in object space, more pronounced when it is slightly tilted (due to the image offset you get).

I think this is what you've got going on. The effect shows up because of the bright source. In this case, I'd bet a beer the reflecting surface is the ND filter.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Proper dilution for photoflo is too much. for 500ml, a drop or two is all that's needed. I use distilled water for the final/photoflo rinse, and I don't let my fingers touch the film as I hang it up. I either use a glove or my combiplan's holder to raise it up to where I can clip it to the line to dry. Try re-rinsing. 500ml of distilled water is about 10 cents here and worth it to me to get a batch of pristine film.