Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post

You might consider contacting this guy with your requirements... http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp
    Do you think one could bicycle with that pack, 45 camera, holders and a tripod?

Glenn Mellen

Greg, you'll find the PhotoBackPacker to be perhaps the best system and lighter than most of the others... especially the LowePros. I replaced my LowePros with it in order to reduce weight. It is very comfortable to wear.

Now, as for biking with all that gear mentioned earlier... I might suggest replacing the bicycle with a Honda Goldwing and sidecar or trailer... or perhaps a mule..... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Greg, Ive never personally tried. But the pack behaves just like 'any' quality backpack, so I cant see why not. With the right tension set on the waist belt and shoulder straps the pack feels snug and stable on the body and doesn't moving around. I imagine if I were to cycle I'd opt to find a way to attach the tripod to the bike rather than the pack, just my thoughts. Ive never liked the idea of a tripod attached to the pack when I walking. Just to add, the protection and organization of the gear in these packs comes from the 'backerboard' married with the camera and lens cases, I wouldn't like to use the pack without the cases. The other great thing I find is that you can hang the pack from the tripod with the pack fully open without fear of all the gear falling out...everythings contained and easily at hand, plus a light weight tripod becomes rock solid once youve got the pack attached.

Bicycling with a big pack one is not fun. It kills your back and is generally akward. Better to put a cargo rack on the rear and, if needed, front of your bike and use paniers (bags that hang off the side of the rack). You can strap your tripod either under the frame if it's short enough, or onto the top of the rack with bungee cords.

From personal experience, yes, the Photobackpacker setup works well on a bike (but I've not ridden more than 5 miles or so with it. I'd get a Bob trailer if I wanted to go for longer rides). I have the P2 and am still tweaking the "cloud" suspension to get it to fit my back perfectly, but it is really nice. The tripod goes on the outside, in the special pocket with strap, and the other side can then fit a water bottle or jacket. I have a fairly long torso, and the P2 "short torso" option is fine, and I have room to adjust for an even longer torso.

With this setup, you get a back board that you attach to the bottom of the backpack, then you use the velcro strips to assemble whatever boxes you want for your camera, lenses, and accessories. You don't specify your camera, so I'll assume medium-sized field, for which the "894" box will work. You may need smaller or lighter, it's easy to configure on the site. You'll probably velcro that at the bottom of the back board, and if you shove it all the way to one side or the other, you'll have space for 4-6 holders next to it.

Then, assuming you use a 4x4" or thereabouts lens board, you'll get two of the LS-1150-4 lens cases. I have two of them, one fits an 80SSXL, 120 APO-Symmar, 200 Nikkor-M and a 300 Fuji-C, with another spacer to give about a 1" wide area where I store a spare lens wrench, lens cloth, and puffer brush.

In the 2nd "4 lens" box, if I'm carrying my full lens load, I'll fit the 250/6.3 Fuji and 165/3.5 Zeiss, plus a larger area that carries my light meter, loupe, and a few other tools. If I want to travel lighter, I just leave one or both of these heavy lenses at home. Two of those should carry all 7 of the lenses you list, plus space for a few more things.

Above the two lens boxes is space for the dark cloth.

On the inside of the main flap, I have space for a 2nd focusing screen back (with wide angle fresnel), and one of those wallets that holds a bunch of filters. You can instead fit a bunch of film holders in either of those pockets instead.

The outer pocket carries less used accessories (pen, grey card, IR filters, laser pointer for focusing). The outermost outer pocket carries a couple bungee cords.

I also got the deal where you get two side pockets (RKSideP) for the price of one when ordered with the backpack. I could, in theory, fit about 6 film holders in the pack on either side of the camera box, and 16 holders between the two outside pockets. In general, I'll carry 6 holders in one outside pocket of regular film and 3 of IR film inside the backpack to keep them separate. If I want to shoot more, I'll probably bring the 2nd external pocket, but leave it in the trunk of the car.

See lots of pics of the P1/P2 here: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P1/p1d.html

Drew
    Last edited by drew.saunders; 4-Feb-2010 at 14:38. Reason: Caveat on how far I ride.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by douglas gove View Post
    out grown my back pack!...i would appreciate input of users on back packs...what i want to carry...lenses 65, 75, 90, 135, 210, 300 and 400t, 4x5 folder and 10 to 15 holders thank you doug
    drop all those extra lenses. All the greats of photography, ok, only 98% of them, used one camera and one lens for about 10-15 years at a time. If you need to, take a step closer, or walk back. Get one great lens, maybe a Apo Sironar 150 S, or something, and focus on using that. (Or a Dagor.)

The btzs focus cloth weighs almost nothing, and make sure you use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod (or something similar). Leave the camera on the tripod and throw it over your shoulder...
    I don't know how long you are out, but be realistic about how many shots you take in a day. I can take about 20. 8 holders is probably fine. Stop bracketing (if you are) and get your development down...

Just my 2 cents...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

That's great advice Lenny.

For two years, I lugged a Deardorff 8x10 around with meter, a Nikkor 450 M and 3 old holders (which I still own) - sometimes I even remembered a cable release. I made some of my best images during that time and frankly never felt short changed while out shooting. Some of the best shots I made were as a result of having to work a composition in because of the tools I had available - I was forced to be creative instead of just going through the motions of shooting. I own a bunch of photo gear and have to confess that most of my worthwhile photography happens when I'm focused on the subject and not on the gear in my bag. It's one of the reasons I shoot a 50mm lens on a 35mm rangefinder week in and week out... it keeps my LF gear completely manageable in a shoulder bag instead of in that revolting Super Trekker...

Photobackpacker packs are the best. Use a Burley type trailer on a bike or an InStep jogging stroller on flat land.