Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

older than most

Help

out grown my back pack!...i would appreciate input of users on back packs...what i want to carry...lenses 65, 75, 90, 135, 210, 300 and 400t, 4x5 folder and 10 to 15 holders thank you doug

Re: Help

Before you try and cram even more gear in a bigger pack, make sure your back is up to the strain.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

older than most

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Before you try and cram even more gear in a bigger pack, make sure your back is up to the strain.
    i'm 61, but feel like 30 doug

Conventional backpacking pack with a seperatly accessible sleeping bag compartment works well for me. On actual backpacking trips I've been known to attach a seperate camera bag to the outside of my pack. It keeps everything accessible although it does look a little funny.

That is kind of a big kit you are talking about though- do you really need all those lenses? Also maybe think about replacing the film holders with a Graflex..

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Conventional backpacking pack with a seperatly accessible sleeping bag compartment works well for me. On actual backpacking trips I've been known to attach a seperate camera bag to the outside of my pack. It keeps everything accessible although it does look a little funny.
    I did that hitch-hiking in New Zealand for 3 months with a 4x5. I must have looked like a very dumb tourist who could not figure what to leave behind, so took everything!

Just about any well-designed backpack that loads via a zippered front panel would work. Time to head to your local outdoor rec store!

Vaughn

Sounds like you want something like the Lowepro Super Trekker. I have one and it's huge! It will fit everything, plus clothes and sandwiches. Or possibly the slightly smaller LowePro Pro Trekker.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

4x5 film holders fit in the detachable side pouches like they were made for them. Attach the tripod on the other side of the pack. Top section holds six lenses using padded dividers and the bottom holds the camera, telephoto lens, dark cloth and all the rest. Or, the same bag will hold an 8x10 camera with three lenses and all the rest.

older than most

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barber View Post
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

4x5 film holders fit in the detachable side pouches like they were made for them. Attach the tripod on the other side of the pack. Top section holds six lenses using padded dividers and the bottom holds the camera, telephoto lens, dark cloth and all the rest. Or, the same bag will hold an 8x10 camera with three lenses and all the rest.
    thank you for your suggestions...the f-64 looks like the ticket...going to check it out doug

Quote Originally Posted by douglas gove View Post
    i'm 61, but feel like 30 doug
    I wonder what age you'll feel after lugging 7 lenses and 15 holders for a day

If your carrying that sort of load any distance I'd personally stay well clear of photo backpacks... lowepro, tamrac ect. The ones Ive tried are specifically designed to inflict maximum spinal and shoulder damage in the shortest possible time over the shortest possible distance. If you were thinking about something like the lowepro SuperTrekker because of its carrying capacity you should be aware that it weighs in at somewhere ridiculous like 12+ lb empty and carries like a stone of potatoes hanging off your back...well thats how it was on my back.

You might consider contacting this guy with your requirements... http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

I cant praise this backpacking system highly enough, it keeps all the gear well protected well organised and easily accessible with the added bang that it carries load very successfully and comfortably without causing unnecessary back and shoulder pain like the regular photo packs do.

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    I wonder what age you'll feel after lugging 7 lenses and 15 holders for a day

You might consider contacting this guy with your requirements... http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

I cant praise this backpacking system highly enough, it keeps all the gear well protected well organised and easily accessible with the added bang that it carries load very successfully and comfortably without causing unnecessary back and shoulder pain like the regular photo packs do.
    Kev;
    This is a great link and really nice looking pack & system.