Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camer Focusing vs Results

Re: View Camer Focusing vs Results

Another thought. I'm just in the beginning stages of learning to scan LF negs but one of the things I was most surprised about was the high level of sharpening required of the scan.

What were your sharpening settings?

--Darin

PS: Looks like Peter beat me to it!
    Last edited by Darin Boville; 1-Feb-2010 at 10:35. Reason: Saw Peter's post...

My initial settings was "standard." I'll provide additional information when get home from work in next 4hrs.

However, I remember using the following settings:
    • Resolution: 3200 DPI
    • Quality: Best
    • Image Type: Photo
    • 8 (and then 16) gray scale, saved as a .tif image
    • Dust removal: on, and also off
    • Digital "ICE" set to "Standard" and then "High" (I didn't like the results received from being set to High, and was not fond of Standard, so I turned it back off.

Since this hasn't been an issue for me before, with prior photos (although I used Quickloads at that time until they stopped making them. )

I'm starting to lean towrds the probability that there was an ever-so-gentle movement to the flower that caused the blurring in the 1/2 to 2 second exposure.

I ordered from Badger Graphics (3) Boxes of Fuji Instand FP-100B45 film. and requested it be shipped 2nd day Air. I'll use a faster shutter speed on the next set of tests to make sure. And IF they come out sharp, then it would have definately been a 'learning curve' issue.

-Robert

Have you tried on film instead of instants?

I have noticed that Fuji's instant films does not produce very sharp image. When scanning them, the 600dpi resolution is already overkill. There isn't enough details on the print to dig with that resolution. So I scan instants only with 300dpi resolution.

Don't know if Polaroid's were sharper or not. Only used Fuji's instant films.

From normal photographic prints that I have done, my Epson V700 can get details up to 1200dpi, after that the first limitation is the scanner itself; it doesn't see much more than that when scanning prints or very large transparent material (like 8x10 negatives/positives).

As you wroted that quickloads gave good results, I would suspect just the poor resolution of the original Instant film print.

I guess that polaroids/fuji instants are designed to be give only resolution that eye can resolve under normal circumstances. It does not have any extra resolution for scan enlargements.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by RmFrase View Post
    Here's my steps.
    this morning, I tested the Epson V700 Scanner by placing a different Test image from a book onto the platter, just as I have with the Fuji Instant Prints - and the scanner checked out ok as the resulting image was sharp.
    If you are scanning film, that does not test your V700, or possibly you are using it incorrectly. On the V700, scanning a print/book/reflective material has the point of focus at the glass, but when scanning transparent materials, the point of focus is above the glass. If you have been scanning with your film on the glass, that would be your likely culprit. Can you see the grain in the scan? (this will depend somewhat on the film, I'll admit, the V700 can't particularly see the grain on super fine-grained film IME).

Ah, I might misunderstand, I think you are using the term "film" to include the instant print materials.

As stated above, they are not very sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    Have you tried on film instead of instants?
    Not yet, but will try that in the next few days when the Instant film arrives. I'll use the Instant, then without changing anything, pop in the the Quickload and try that.

But since I cannot do my own processing, I will have to wait till the following week to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    Ah, I might misunderstand, I think you are using the term "film" to include the instant print materials.

As stated above, they are not very sharp.

I was placing the film positive (since it is in effect a photo print) onto the platter face down and scanning as a 'Photo/document.'

Since I also placed an actual printed document as a test as well, and it was extremely sharp, either the flower moved during the exposure, OR the fuji instant film isn't as sharp as you had referenced.

We shall see when the new film arrives and I re-test using a faster shutter speed in better light.

-Robert

Let me say thank you too all who have assisted me with this issue. The film is due to arrive Wednesday, and I should have the spare time to re-test by Friday or by Saturday.

-Robert

I think also you need to understand that at close-up distances there is very little depth of field and for a 3 dimensional object like this you would need to stop down to the maximum, like f64 to get it in focus.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jon, I'll try stopping down even further.

Thanks,

-Robert