Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest Lens

Re: Your Oldest Lens

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    Hi GB,

My bet is that the lens dates to the 1845-50 period. While they were making cameras fairly early (before their patented bellow camera), I believe their lenses were a bit later.. Attached is an account from Henry J. Lewis from 1886.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, Great info. Now I need to read the rest of the posts in this thread. GB

Geoff - can you post a pic of your Lewis lens? I think I have photos of one I owed many years ago to compare it to....

Dan
    Hi Dan, Will get a pic posted as soon as I get a moment. GB

Hi Garrett,

There were American made lenses right from the start with John Roach, Henry Fitz and a few others. You really need to check out the book above. You should also read Images & Enterprise by Jenkins http://www.amazon.com/dp/0801835496?...merabooks.html
    which outlines manufacturers in America from 1839 on.... Very small numbers mind you, and focused in NY City. And yes, Voigtlander's (and Ross) were re-sold by everyone, but were very expensive which is why there were cheaper American made "tubes" made/sold almost immediately.

Lastly, if you are interested, I can send you an article written by Matt Isenberg on early equipment... For those who dont know, Matthew maintains the largest collection of American made Dag Cameras in the world and is the leading authority on the subject (and a heck of a nice guy too !) you can email me at dcolucci AT aol.com

Best
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Sure, I'd love a copy. I sent you an email. I'd read that first book you'd mentioned, when I checked it out of the Center for Creative Photograpy's library a while ago. I'd forgotten. They have a lot of early periodicals too. I go there when I research some of the strange equipment I encounter, like my reversing prism. It turns out Matt said it wasn't as early as I'd hoped. Yeah...he knows his stuff.

Foamer

Anyone have any info on American lens maker John Dean (1860s?), or a photo of his lenses? Or, have I been asking too difficult questions here? There was a stereo photographer named Alfred A. Hart who took a lot of railroad photos in that time period in California, and he used a pair of John Dean lenses. They appear to be radial drive Petzvals. Is that a curious choice for landscapes? Wouldn't the newly available rapid rectilinear lenses have been a better choice?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Kent

Saw the reference to "John Dean" lenses, but I dont believe he was an optician. The closest match is to John Dean & Co. who was a BIG seller of tintype plates and other "soft" photographic supplies. Perhaps, he resold some lenses in the 1860's with his name on them as was pretty common.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Foamer

Kent

Perhaps, he resold some lenses in the 1860's with his name on them as was pretty common.
    That would make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Geoff - can you post a pic of your Lewis lens? I think I have photos of one I owed many years ago to compare it to....

Dan

Hi Dan, Here are the pics of the Large Lewis #282. Pics of other lenses to follow. Geoff

Dan, These are pics of my smaller Lewis #697. Geoff

And these are pics of the Gardner & Harrison. Geoff