Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When CS5?

Re: When CS5?

On the other hand, I just had a major scheduled service done on my car and it cost me more than I will have to pay to upgrade my entire CS3 suite to CS5 when it comes out.

Yes, I service my car and I upgrade my (business) software regularly. Keeps both the car and me running more smoothly and it costs me less in the long run.

CS4 was the first release I ever skipped, mainly out of protest against some of their more recent marketing practices, but even if I didn't, my scheduled car services come much more often then my software updates.

How many of software update complainers here service their cars? Do you think it is a failed business model too to require car owners to service their cars?

As to the OP question, I have seen late April mentioned regarding the CS5 release on a few sites (definitely rumor).

Being a new Mac Pro owner, I am anxious to see the improvements the new version will offer Intel Mac users. All the things Jim K already addressed adds up to CS 5 being a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

Ben

They got one over us if you've gotten a recent digital camera -- they don't update the older versions of Adobe Camera Raw for the new cameras -- or you end up making giant 4X larger DNG files -- which means buying more backup drives or third party Raw software -- where simply upgrading solves the problem.

But I haven't found much else between CS3 to CS4 to appreciate. Granted leaner 64-bit code will be great in CS5 but it harks back a question I've had about software since I started playing with Macs (Photoshop 1.0 on a single floppy) -- why can't we take a leaner, earlier version that ran fine on our older slower computers -- and run a modified version on today's faster processors... so that it FLEW?

(I know you can't do it out of the box, but I just mean the concept ... I want Photoshop Basic, Turbo Edition.)

Look for CS5 around Jun or Jul - a guesstimate. For those aggravated by frequent Photoshop releases maybe a new scheme is on the way. I have a hunch that a "cloud computing" approach may be coming. In the case of Adobe, this will involve their keeping the latest Photoshop version on a set of massive servers run by them. You will rent Photoshop on their servers for a monthly fee, or perhaps a use fee. Hey it may be that every time you want to make a print on your home computer there will be a charge imposed by Adobe. Of course toggling between your computer and the software on the distant server will require a high speed, fully optical connection so the whole scheme may be a ways into the future. But if I see $$$ signs then they will also. It is already a historic trend in business and industrial licensing of software packages, some of which are maintained at remote sites.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I don't know what camera you are using, but .dng files are smaller than proprietary raw files-and don't need sidecars.

Yeah in the ideal world, but not for the Panasonic G1 with ACR 4.x, it needs 5.x and the G1 dng file size drops from 44 to 11mb.

There are rumors the new LR has much better noise reduction. If PS CS5 has that in ACR, it will be enough for me to purchase it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In answer to why I am interested in CS5, it is mostly to get the 64 bit version and speed. I have a Mac Pro and would love to see the speed boost. Being able to handle larger files (> 2GB) hasn't been much of an issue yet, but who knows?

For those who don't like to upgrade, please consider the licensing model used by other industries where no updates of any sort are available 90 days after purchase unless an annual maintenance contract is purchased for 15-30% of the license cost. Even with this, software is declared to be end-of-life after 4-5 years, meaning no more bug/security fixes unless the update is purchased. Adobe is a publicly traded company that has to make a profit in order to pay its employes and to raise capital to develop products that meet new needs of folks other than B&W photographers. If companies ultimately adopt Google's model for software and then begin to charge for the software on a per use basis, we won't have the option to use an older version at no cost.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. Herman View Post
    Has anyone heard any rumors about when PS CS5 will be released?
    Probably not long after I replace my G5 PPC with a new Mac Pro, which is scheduled for late spring. I don't look forward to transporting all the purchased software over and then get updates or upgrades, especially CS4 (CS2 and CS3 will die a happy death on the old machine minus a few applications). Anyone does something like this on Mac's?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

All this digital photography stuff has gotten 'way too expensive.
    There's very little that I can't do with PS Elements 2, and a couple of (cheap/free) stand-alone or plug-in programs. PS7 sits unused on my old MAC, and I have no plans (or funds) for "upgrading."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)