Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When CS5?

Re: When CS5?

My Seagate external has an eSATA port out, but to connect to my MacBook Pro I would need to run through an express card adapter. The MacBook Pro came with a FireWire 800 port. Anyway, with 4GB RAM, I rarely am stuck waiting for any action.

I am using CS3 and it is so slow when I work on large files. My 8x10 scans at 16 bit with around 10 adjustment layers are more than 10GB - I work with only one history state - but still the mac is paging and swapping like nothing. I have a separate RAID 0 Array just for swapping, doesn't help.
    Unfortunatly CS3 only uses 3GB of the available 16GB of RAM natively...that alone would be a reason for me to upgrade.

But since CS4 didn't adress this, lets wait for CS5...
    Thomas Birke
    blog -> http://thomasbirke.com
    portfolio -> http://www.birke.net

Most users want to process and browse many small files concurrently.

We want to process huge files, one at a time.

My guess is that Adobe will consistently address performance issues which affect most users, first and foremost.

Lightroom already supports 64-bit processing.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do all new development within Lightroom, and later "back-port" features into Photoshop as needed. Perhaps Photoshop is looked upon as a Legacy product: one they can't live with, but can't live without. (Just a guess, based on a few decades in the software industry.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Most users want to process and browse many small files concurrently.

We want to process huge files, one at a time.

My guess is that Adobe will consistently address performance issues which affect most users, first and foremost.
    I wonder whether you are ignoring the fact that CS is a suite of programmes and that there are a lot of users, apart from large format photographers, who need to process large amounts of data.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

You're probably right. I wasn't aware that Create Suite users deal with large files.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    There are rumors the new LR has much better noise reduction. If PS CS5 has that in ACR, it will be enough for me to purchase it.
    Yes Lightroom 3 has a whole new imaging pipeline... noise has improved greatly. ACR CS5 will have the same new pipeline.

Here's what I wrote on my flickr page:

Hey... trying out the new Lightroom 3 Beta... really cleans up the 50D banding pattern and color noise. The image (1/5th crop of image) was under-exposed by about 1.85 stops due to flash not recycling in time. Settings are identical in both apps LR2 and LR3Beta.

LR2:

LR3:
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I think they are out of touch...
    A business model that requires it's customer base to repurchase every year or so, particularly a community hard hit by economic and technical evolution of the past decade or so, is foolhardy. Also, it's not working, friends of mine there have been laid off.
    We know what we need, and they don't approach us, but instead parcel out little changes we never needed, while moving menu items around and changing interface unnecessarily.
    I'm on 3 still, I've yet to see a reason to change that will pay for itself. ACR is it, particularly if you need support for a new camera...
    But hey, it's the large format list.

I say all this totally acknowledging the huge contribution Photoshop has made to the realization of my work... I hear 5 may actually be worth something, but I'll take some convincing.
    Tyler
    The continual consumer "upgrade" cycle in re: to technology is an extremely disheartening byproduct, as it affects our needs, wants and expectations. I fear it has turned more people into "magic bullet" seekers who wait for the "grass is always greener" upgrade, rather than concentrating on honing their skills and putting the time in to do the work they need to do in respect to their craft.

Here's an example of the need for digital photographers to process lots of photos.

See A Lightroom Ouch on the LensWork Blog:

"When I returned from Asia this last December, I had 12,000+ exposures to upload, organize, and start weeding my way through. Lightroom is the perfect tool for this daunting task..."

12,000 exposures...WTF? How long was he there?

I came home from a 3 week trip to Europe in 2002 with my first dSLR and had 1,200 images; that's about 57 per day. I thought I overshot...Sometimes when I go out on a weekend business trip and I know I'll have time, I shoot a roll or two...of 120 and get 3-4 images I'm happy to work with. At a Per Volquartz Joshua Tree weekend a few years ago, I shot 6 or 7 4x5 images and was able to use 6 of them as palladium prints.

Some people don't want to experience the moment, they want to experience the LCD screen...I hate to comment about someone else's style and of course it's their prerogative, but c'mon...just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    12,000 exposures...WTF? How long was he there?

Some people don't want to experience the moment, they want to experience the LCD screen...I hate to comment about someone else's style and of course it's their prerogative, but c'mon...just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Agreed, but Brooks is a Techno fanatic……