Thread: prescription sunglasses

prescription sunglasses

My faithful prescription sunglasses have bitten the dust. At least it's winter when I don't need them that badly!

Question is, what to replace them with. Some of you people here are ODs, and many people have more experience than I with glasses (even if I've been wearing glasses for nearly 50 years -- sigh...).

Are Maui Jim's really the be-all and end-all that my optometrist indicates that they are? Is there something that's better, or at least a better value?

What I'm looking for is something like 10% transmission, a nice neutral gray that doesn't change any colors (I'm a photographer, so it should go without saying, still...), polarized, and I'm really irritated by reflections off the back of the glasses (sun behind or to the side) so an AR coating on the eye side of the glasses.

It looks like the Maui Jims tech. is mainly just what I described above. But are there other choices out there? Better? Brands to avoid? Things I should know but don't know enough to ask yet? Y'all know what I mean...

All this so I can more easily tromp though the woods to make photographs.

Bruce Watson

Re: prescription sunglasses

I've used Smith Optics (http://www.smithoptics.com/Specialty...ategory_77.htm) for many years. As a flyfisher, I have several colors for different light conditions (we're as bad as LF photographers). They have all been great. Lifetime Warranty. More choices than you probably knew existed.

Rick

you need to get yourself some of these new High Definition sunglasses but I don't know if they make corrective HD yet

Lachlan 717

I currently have Arnettes, Ray Bans, Revos and Maui Jims.

Without doubt, the MJs absolutely kill the others (just noticed that I'd subconsciously listed the names in order of my preferred lenses, from worst to best).

Trouble with the MJs is their size. Just too small for summer. They're fine for winter, spring and autumn where the sun's less intense, but let in too much side
    light for the hot months.

The other issue is that Ginger-knob, David Caruso, wears them in CSI Miami...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I use a pair of prescription sunglass lenses in one pair of glasses (plain and bifocal in others pairs). The store uses a local lens company for the prescription and the type and size of the lens. Mine are polarized lenses, 45 degree angle from either axis. The only problems are looking through car windows where you see the variation in the glass and I take them off when behind the camera.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

used to be a pilot in a former life and I have used Oakely, Ray Ban, Maui Jim, Varnette, Smith's, Military issue (cant remember their name but a big name and still have tons of them around the house) and Ruby Project. I dont like Orange lenses for photography or flying, too much color change but are good to drive w/ I like yellow lenses for low light drive & fly. My all purpose favorite is the G15 military - RayBan green/gray lens, fairly true colors, IMHO. Polarized lenses can be difficult to use when looking through a coated lens or another polarized lens. I personally cant where any glasses that wrap around my ear and will always have straight frames, hence the Oakely's or Rudy Project. Didnt like the MJs, way too dark for my area.

The Ruby Project glasses were my favorite everything glasses, until someone stole them. there is a Sports Optician in colorado, can dig up the web site and email addy if interest, who makes (hand grounds) polycarbonate lenses for Cycling/Sports glasses. The prices are good and was very surprised at the quality. I have an astigmatism and have always had difficulty getting glasses that were correct. Remember the pilot part, I am very anal about glasses. The version I had used removable lenses and could change them for the conditions. I did not use polarized lenses, mostly because I live in Germany and even on bright days polarizers cut the available light too much. Before getting the Rudy's, I only used glass lenses, not sure what I'll buy next, probably another pair of Rudy's once I decide to visit the doc to get a new script...dont like doctors they make you sick, then ground you and you cant fly. Doctors are baaaad

Best advice go start trying them on and buy what fits you, your conditions and your pocket book.

Erick

I have a pair of the Maui Jims - they are wonderful and worth the money. The styles with the broader temples/ear pieces help a lot in shielding from side and back light.

Personally, I greatly dislike wearing sunglasses when I photograph -- they interfer with my Seeing. I am looking for light and it is bad enough that I am about as blind as a bat and have to wear any glass (or glass-like) material at all.

That said, there was the time a friend and I jumped out of the car to check an area out on the rim of the Mono Lake Basin in the snow and sun. We grabbed our cameras too and ended up photographing for several hours and since I left my sunglasses in the car, I ended up having to wear my darkcloth over my head and peeking out of a small slit as I was starting to have trouble seeing. Worth it, though, as I got a favorite image that day.

Good luck in finding the best solution!

Vaughn

ps -- I find a baseball-style cap to be the next best thing to sunglasses (of course not as effective in the snow)

Every pair of prescription sunglasses I've gotten used lenses that replaced whatever was in the frame. So the brand/style of the frames had no impact on the quality and features of the glass, only on comfort and style.

Check Opticus- they are a well-known vendor of prescription glacier glasses. Very good quality stuff and good enough to hold up for you on those rare snowy mountain climbs in NC..
    Last edited by domaz; 2-Feb-2010 at 14:31. Reason: bad tag