Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How large a digital file is reasonable to expect from a 4X5 neg scanned by a V700?

ARS KC2UU

Re: How large a digital file is reasonable to expect from a 4X5 neg scanned by a V700

Quote Originally Posted by dalton View Post
    The largest useful scan I have ever gotten from a 4990 or V700 is about half that resolution. Scanning any more than that is a waste of disk space and time because you've far exceeded the optical capabilities of the scanner.

The maximum useful resolution of the higher-end Epson scanners is around 2400ppi, or maybe a little bit less. That assumes that the film is nice and flat and you're using the software to the best of its ability. Try scanning the same file at different sizes and compare the files, you may be surprised.
    Yes I've done that. As I said, it's the largest size the scanner will function without crashing and giving me an error message that I've set the resolution too high. And the file size for 4x5-inch film is in the 1.07 - 1.10 gigabyte range.

Not that I do this routinely. As you point out, 4800 dpi is probably way beyond the scanner's true resolution, and nothing more than "empty magnification" as we call it in microscopy.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Re: How large a digital file is reasonable to expect from a 4X5 neg scanned by a V700

I scan at 2400 on the 4990... Scanning at 4800 and then resizing to 2400 looks better in terms of lower scanner noise, but I don't have the patience for the very marginal improvement. There is zero difference in image information or detail -- only scanner noise.