Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-41, 8x10", low output: Equipment recommendations please!

Re: C-41, 8x10", low output: Equipment recommendations please!

Here´s what Mr. Becker told me in his prompt and friendly response: He says he knows the problem all too well, and so far he has not found any lab that was able to solve it. "Bribing them won´t help either, they just can´t do any better." But - and that´s what I´ve experienced, too - as the problem grows with the density of the negative, you must refrain from the bad habit of overexposing. - By the way, those pictures on his website http://www.olafottobecker.de/ are worth looking at!
    Last edited by Michael Nagl; 26-Jan-2010 at 03:27. Reason: forgot something

Jobo system is best- it will save you lots of time and fussing over the alternatives (BTZS tubes etc..). BTZS tubes are great for B&W but just a pain for color where you have about double the things to think about (changing solutions/temperature etc etc..).

Reviving that old thread because I found the answer: HSL in Düsseldorf, Germany. (http://www.hsldigital.de/) Never before did I get such flawlessly processed negatives. Price is o.k., too. (Once again, it's time to say - Thanks Gudmundur!)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been processing C-41 using Kodak chemistry with a Jobo CPA for over a year now with excellent results. Kodak has extensive C-41 chemistry and processing literature on their website for download - you can't go wrong using Kodak chemistry and a Jobo CPA/CPP. The Kodak Flexicolor III Bleach is discontinued although you can still find some around. Their one shot replacement, at $38US for 2.7 liters, is rather expensive but with your proposed volume will be insignificant. You can reuse the bleach once without replenishment with rotary processing so the $38 will get you 5.4 liters of bleach. The stop, developer and fix are cheap!

The hardest part about C-41 is getting good chemicals yourself. You should not use powdered kits or any kits that use BLIX- this is explained many times in detail by a retired Kodak engineer over at APUG. So that means you need to get Kodak chemicals and the Bleach in particular is very hard to obtain in small quantities. Photographer Formulary is now selling a 1 Liter C-41 kit made from Kodak chems- that is probably a good way to start.