Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use 35mm in conjunction with LF?

Anyone use 35mm in conjunction with LF?

(Another new guy question. I've yet to shoot a single shot in LF - waiting on pieces for my camera - and may be overthinking things here.)

I was thinking of using a 35mm camera along with a 4x5, loaded with the same (B&W) film and an equivalent lens (28mm on the small camera, 90 on the 4x5) and filter. Then whatever I shoot with the 4x5, take the same shot with the 35mm with the same EV.

Then develop the 35mm film first, examine it and maybe adjust the development of the 4x5 film. (I know to be aware of how reciprocity will effect things given that the LF may have longer exposures.)

Does this make any sense?

Or should I quit goofing off, get a light meter and learn the zone system?

...Mike

Re: Anyone use 35mm in conjunction with LF?

For what it may be worth (possibly very little ) I would be inclined to go get a meter and start shooting.. and learning that way.

Preston Birdwell

"Or should I quit goofing off, get a light meter and learn the zone system?

That's the ticket, Mike. At least that's the way I would approach it if I was just getting started in LF. You've got a learning hill to climb, so it's best, I think, to keep things as simple as possible.

--P
    Last edited by Preston; 22-Jan-2010 at 17:08. Reason: typo
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Preston, with all due respect (one Mother Lode hillbilly to another) - I think the best
    way to learn how to climb hills is just to start climbing them. Leave the small camera
    at home. It has a different perspective ratio anyway. Just get in there with the view
    camera and start learning from the school of hard knocks. Forget the training wheels.

Preston Birdwell

I think we're on the same page, Drew. My meaning was for Mike to just get going, and learn by doing.

--Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I don't use my 35mm cameras anymore but I do sometimes use my Digital SLR for an instant proof shot.

I usually shoot 2 sheets.Then adjust the second in development in case I screwed up the first

hacker extraordinaire

I've been known to take the same shot with a MF or 35mm camera, just in case. It's come in handy before when the LF suffered some tragedy.

I use both 35mm and 6x6 in conjunction with my 4x5, but not for testing purposes. I often shoot the main architectural shots with the 4x5, both exterior and interior, and use either the 35mm or 6x6 for detail shots, especially when items I want to shoot are in odd, hard to reach locations like details of the top of a Corinthiam collumn, mouldings, etc. I most often use a hand-held meter with all of the cameras.

I'm inclined not to carry anymore then I have to unless working out of a trunk.