Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be cool to take your LF camera to....

Re: Wouldn't it be cool to take your LF camera to....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Look at the ranges he shot from: Hippopotamus: 35 meters ... Cape buffalo: 30 meters ... Lion: 60 meters ...

Almost spitting distance - hardly seems sporting. Maybe the great white hunter should try his luck in Afghanistan, where you don't even see the guys shooting back.
    I know there are issues with hunting and hunters but if it weren't for the hunters paying those high prices for licenses to hunt these animals they would soon be non-excistent. Just look at countries who have hunting verses those who don't. As for shooting a dangerous animal at 30 meters isn't as easy as some would think. First you have to get close eough to make a humane shot. This is why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting". One little screw up from a misfire to a poorly placed shot could mean you will be run over or worse. Me personally have no desire to take one of these animals, but I do hunt more for getting in touch with nature.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Attu is a birders paradise. I have a friend who has been there recently. You can fly in and stay with the birders. They even have bikes for use in the local area. The interior is mountain country with max elev. of maybe 3000 ft. Roughly a dozen to maybe two dozen non cloudy days a year. Lots of mist an drizzle but really only about 30 to 40 inches of rain a year. (From my birder friend). He says check it out on Google Earth.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I understand that there are Kodiak brown bears in the neighborhood. I have a pistol chambered with a .444 Marlin loaded with 305 grain solids, I think it'll handle a bear, it sure handles wild hogs. A 12Ga slug will handle anything you want to shoot at, forget the #7 shot.... you'll just piss him off.
    Actually the #7shot is to blind it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwaddison View Post
    Actually the #7shot is to blind it.
    If the pattern is right.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    If the pattern is right.
    True. Another reason to go with the bear spray. But I'd take the shotgun over the handgun. I'm sure some of you are excellent shots (I'm not) but shooting at a charging 800 lb grizzly moving at over 30 mph would be a tough target with a handgun. And, if I recall correctly they have a very small zone where a shot would kill them immediately. Anyway, everybody will choose what they feel most comfortable with, but the people in northern Canada who work around them (tree planters etc) carry bear spray, shotguns or a rifle in camp.

Seriously, would a shot gun blast even penetrate all that thick hair? Seems like unless you hit it dead in the nose and eyes, you would only irritate it with no chance for a second or third shot. I'm no hunter, but my impression is that they are mostly useful for waterfowl and riot control unless you use deer slugs instead of shot.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by jwaddison View Post
    True. Another reason to go with the bear spray. But I'd take the shotgun over the handgun. I'm sure some of you are excellent shots (I'm not) but shooting at a charging 800 lb grizzly moving at over 30 mph would be a tough target with a handgun. And, if I recall correctly they have a very small zone where a shot would kill them immediately. Anyway, everybody will choose what they feel most comfortable with, but the people in northern Canada who work around them (tree planters etc) carry bear spray, shotguns or a rifle in camp.
    What you say is true but it is also true that handguns are illegal in Canada from what I understand so they wouldn't carry them in the first place. All I'm saying in my case, a guy who has shot skeet with a handgun (.410) for about 30 years and has hunted ferral hogs that get up to around 250 lbs or so and are well known for their ferrocity and toughness and run 30 mph with the intent to eat you, I could feel confident with my "150 yard sledge hammer". We have bears here in Michigan too, and most of the time they will do all they can to avoid you unless they are injured, hungry or protecting their young. If I was walking in a woods with my camera equipement I would prefer to carry the handgun verses a shotgun with slugs even though I know very well which is more powerful. It's just a matter of logistics.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Geos

For those of you who think guns should be avoided, or that spray is adequate, check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNgw...eature=related

There are plenty of other videos that demonstrate the danger involved with being in areas that have dangerous animals. Also, if there is any wind or heavy rain, spray will be ineffective and will certainly do little to an animal that has the momentum of a 40 MPH charge going for them. Spray is for unarmed people or a teddy bear that one could field goal any way.

Rifles certainly have the edge with respect to power and accuracy but are cumbersome and heavy, unless the intent is to hunt. 375 H&H is the minimum for animals that can kill and eat you. Also, unless shot placement is perfect, it will seldom drop an animal with only one shot.

If I were carrying camera equipment, photographing, and spent time under the dark cloth, I'd recommend a large 5-shot magnum revolver in either a chest or thigh holster - something clear of backpack straps or the waist belt. The cartridge of choice is anything at or above 454 Casull - 500 S&W Mag. being a personal choice. Handguns are smaller and weigh less than rifles, are more convenient (it is with the person all the time), can be maneuvered easier, and shot more rapidly at short range, with great effectiveness.

As far as travel to Attu, the Aleutians, or any remote island, your best bet is a small sailing vessel. You could do this yourself. Get your captain's license and a 30+ foot sailboat, which can be quite inexpensive used compared to new, not withstanding maintenance costs, which will be high unless you do all the work. You should build your sailing experience and knowledge over several years, then just do it. Attu appears to have several good anchorages compared to most islands in the Aleutian Archipelago.

Cool It would be totally awesome to take a large camera...

...to the Cirque of the Unclimbables. With skills commensurate with the environment.

Cirque of the Unclimbables

Follow that amazing experience with a trip to Auyuittuq National Park...

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nu/auyuittuq/index.aspx
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei